What sort of culling of visual information does the brain do?

In summary: The brain is culling information? Removing irrelevant information? Doing some other efficient processing to only look at N pixels not all 1 million right? Can you inform me on what sort of things its doing here to efficiently handle all 1 million bits of information?
sazr
The brain receives a lot of visual information some of which is redundant visual information. I am imagining it like the brain receiving a 1000 pixel wide by 1000 tall image of a road. The brain has received 1,000,000 bits/pixels of information. I am assuming the brain doesn't need all that information in order to detect the road in the image and localise where in the image the road is. But correct me if I am wrong here.

So the brain must be culling information? Removing irrelevant information? Doing some other efficient processing to only look at N pixels not all 1 million right? Can you inform me on what sort of things its doing here to efficiently handle all 1 million bits of information?

Biology news on Phys.org
Here is a popular science explanation (originally from phys.org) https://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-04-eyes-brain.html

Basically your brain fills in the"blank" spots with what was imaged there (remembered) in detail very recently. This why people's "attention" darts back and forth when there is unexpected movement or color change in the periphery of vision. Sort of a data refresh, replacing that area of images of the periphery data store.

Likes BillTre
I wouldn't call it kulling.
The information will be utilized to generate higher order features (like edges or objects) which in turn will be used to generate even higher order features (which will be fewer in number).
The continued input of this kind of information will be needed to maintain and update this internal constructions.

BillTre said:
The information will be utilized to generate higher order features (like edges or objects) which in turn will be used to generate even higher order features (which will be fewer in number).

In computer vision we would apply a Sobel/Prewitt/etc. filter to the 1000x1000 image. And in that case we consider all 1 million data points, in this case, to detect edges. I was thinking, our way of edge detection (whilst works) is inefficient and the brain would have a more efficient way to edge detect and etc. But maybe I am wrong? What do you think? Do we know how the brain is performing edge detection and other low level processing?

Edge detectors have been detected electro-physiologically, for a long time.
Here is a recent review of fly visual system boundary detection, which being a simple (invertebrate) nervous system presents clear results.
The fly gets this done with a nervous system that is smaller then the head of a pin.

1. What is visual culling?

Visual culling is a process in which the brain selectively filters and prioritizes information from the environment, allowing us to focus on important stimuli and ignore irrelevant or less important information.

2. How does the brain decide what information to cull?

The brain uses a combination of top-down and bottom-up processing to determine what information to cull. Top-down processing involves using our expectations, knowledge, and previous experiences to guide our attention, while bottom-up processing involves reacting to sensory information in our environment.

3. What are some factors that can influence visual culling?

Some factors that can influence visual culling include our goals, emotions, level of arousal, and the complexity and salience of the stimuli. Our individual differences and past experiences can also play a role in how our brain culls visual information.

4. Can the brain make mistakes in its visual culling process?

Yes, the brain can make mistakes in its visual culling process. This can happen when the brain is overwhelmed with too much information, leading to inattentional blindness or change blindness. It can also occur when the brain is influenced by biases or expectations, causing us to miss important details or misinterpret information.

5. Is visual culling a conscious or unconscious process?

Visual culling is primarily an unconscious process, meaning that we are not actively aware of it happening. However, we can also consciously direct our attention to specific stimuli, which can influence the brain's culling process. Additionally, with training and practice, we can learn to improve our ability to selectively attend to important information.