What sort of professionals work in nanofabrication?

• Thread starter gsmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sort Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience in a CM experiment lab and REU program, where they have developed an interest in nanofabrication techniques. They are considering a career in chip development and are wondering about the educational background required for such a role at companies like Intel or IBM. The conversation also mentions the distinction between chip development and fabrication, and the trend of offshoring in the latter. It is noted that most engineers in chip development have EE degrees, but there may be opportunities for physicists as well. The speaker is also open to pursuing graduate school in other fields, such as Materials Science or EE.
gsmith
For the past few months I have been working in an CM experiment lab at my university (I just wrapped up my first year of undergrad) and am now working for the same professor in an REU over the summer. Though my work, I have come into a lot of contact with nanofabrication techniques (Lithography, chip production, etc) and have become totally fascinated by it.

I am beginning to consider this as a career path and am wondering what sort of educational background someone who works on chip development (or any nanofabrication) at, say, Intel or IBM would need.

I am currently a Physics major and would like to stay one - for both sheer interest in the topic and a bothersome scholarship that I lose if I change my major. Is this something a physicist would do? I am also open to grad school in other fields (Materials Science? EE?).

Any insights are much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, chip development is distinct from chip fabrication. Chip fabrication is *heavily* being offshored and Intel is one of the last companies to be really innovating. All signs are that IBM is slowly getting out of the chip fab business (but who knows what their plans are?). There are some niche operations here and there but most process development is happening overseas. Sorry. If you want a job in a sunset industry, most engineers in that area have EE degrees, even though they study a lot of chemistry and materials science in their graduate programs. I'm sure they would be open to hiring a physicist with specific experience for that type of work but like most engineering specialities having a physics degree would be something you would need to overcome, it wouldn't be an asset.

If you're interested in chip development, that's EE all the way. It is a highly technical and specialized field.

I should add that there are a lot of interesting things being done in nanofabrication but it is very much in the competitive / R&D phase. Most people I know in the area studied EE, Materials Science, or Physical Chemistry.

1. What is nanofabrication?

Nanofabrication is the process of creating structures or devices at a nanoscale level, typically using techniques such as lithography, etching, and deposition.

2. What types of professionals are involved in nanofabrication?

Nanofabrication involves a multidisciplinary team of professionals including physicists, chemists, engineers, material scientists, and biologists.

3. What skills are required for a career in nanofabrication?

Professionals working in nanofabrication must have a strong background in science, particularly in areas such as nanotechnology, materials science, and engineering. They should also have skills in using specialized equipment and software, as well as problem-solving and critical thinking abilities.

4. What industries utilize nanofabrication?

Nanofabrication has applications in a wide range of industries, including electronics, healthcare, energy, and aerospace. It is used to create microchips, sensors, medical devices, and more.

5. What are the future prospects for professionals in nanofabrication?

The field of nanofabrication is rapidly growing and advancing, with potential for new discoveries and applications. As such, there will likely be continued demand for professionals with expertise in this field in the future.