What Speed Is the Bat Catching Up to Its Prey?

In summary, the problem involves a bat chasing a prey at different speeds and emitting a chirp at a certain frequency. The formula for the Doppler effect is used to determine the speed at which the bat is catching up on its prey. The correct signs for the observer and source velocities are determined by considering the direction of movement. Using the formula twice for both the emitted and reflected waves, the resulting speeds of the bat catching up on its prey are 2.4 m/s and 10.096 m/s respectively.
jrrodri7

Homework Statement

Assuming the speed of sound is 338 m/s:

A bat moving at 6.2 m/s is chasing a flying insect. The bat emits a 53 KHz chirp and receives an echo at 53.6 KHz. At what speed is the bat catching up on its prey?

Homework Equations

[tex]f^{'}[/tex]=[ ([tex]V_{Air}[/tex] + [tex]V_{observer}[/tex]) [tex]/[/tex] ([tex]V_{Air}[/tex] - [tex]V_{source}[/tex] ] * f

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that since the objects are moving in the same direction I said that the signs are different, but I don't know which one should be positive or negative because normally the signs are the same because Doppler effect usually comes into play when the objects are moving towards or away from each other, but these are moving in the same direction, while the bat is moving quicker and accelerating towards the prey...I just plugged in the numbers, but I don't know which way to work with it...Help?

My answers for Vo (+) and Vs (-) was...Vo = 2.4 m/s
With the Vo (-) and Vs (+) I arrived at...Vo = 10.096

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jrrodri7,

jrrodri7 said:

Homework Statement

Assuming the speed of sound is 338 m/s:

A bat moving at 6.2 m/s is chasing a flying insect. The bat emits a 53 KHz chirp and receives an echo at 53.6 KHz. At what speed is the bat catching up on its prey?

Homework Equations

[tex]f^{'}[/tex]=[ ([tex]V_{Air}[/tex] + [tex]V_{observer}[/tex]) [tex]/[/tex] ([tex]V_{Air}[/tex] - [tex]V_{source}[/tex] ] * f

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that since the objects are moving in the same direction I said that the signs are different, but I don't know which one should be positive or negative because normally the signs are the same because Doppler effect usually comes into play when the objects are moving towards or away from each other, but these are moving in the same direction, while the bat is moving quicker and accelerating towards the prey...I just plugged in the numbers, but I don't know which way to work with it...Help?

I don't believe that is correct. If they are both moving towards each other, then the signs in numerator and denominator should be different.

When the observer is moving towards the source, the observed frequency is greater, so in that case the numerator has a positive sign.

When the source is moving towards the observer, the observed frequency is greater, so the denominator has the negative sign.

So in this problem, which would it be?

Also, they are talking about the reflected wave, so you'll need to use the formula twice. What do you get?

My answers for Vo (+) and Vs (-) was...Vo = 2.4 m/s
With the Vo (-) and Vs (+) I arrived at...Vo = 10.096

m/s

I would approach this problem by first clarifying the assumptions and given information. The problem states that the bat is moving at a constant speed of 6.2 m/s and emitting a 53 KHz chirp. It also receives an echo at 53.6 KHz. The speed of sound in this scenario is given as 338 m/s.

Next, I would use the Doppler effect equation to calculate the relative velocity between the bat and the prey. However, since the objects are moving in the same direction, we need to consider the signs of the velocities. The bat is moving faster than the prey, so its velocity will be positive. The prey is moving slower, so its velocity will be negative.

Plugging in the given values, we get:

53.6 KHz = [ (338 m/s + Vo) / (338 m/s - (-6.2 m/s)) ] * 53 KHz

Solving for Vo, we get:

Vo = 10 m/s

This means that the bat is catching up on its prey at a speed of 10 m/s.

In conclusion, the bat is catching up on its prey at a speed of 10 m/s, assuming the given values and assumptions are correct. It is important to clarify any uncertainties in the given information and to carefully consider the signs and directions of the velocities in a Doppler effect problem.

1. What is the Doppler effect problem?

The Doppler effect problem is a phenomenon that describes the apparent change in frequency or wavelength of a wave as observed by an observer moving relative to the source of the wave. This effect is commonly observed in sound waves, light waves, and other types of waves.

2. How does the Doppler effect problem occur?

The Doppler effect problem occurs when there is relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. This results in a perceived change in the frequency or wavelength of the wave, depending on the direction and speed of the motion.

3. What factors can affect the magnitude of the Doppler effect problem?

The magnitude of the Doppler effect problem can be affected by the speed of the wave, the speed of the source and observer, and the angle of motion relative to the line connecting the source and observer. Additionally, the medium through which the wave is traveling can also affect the magnitude of the effect.

4. How is the Doppler effect problem used in real-world applications?

The Doppler effect problem is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in radar and sonar systems to measure the speed and direction of moving objects. It is also used in medical imaging technologies, like ultrasounds, to accurately measure blood flow and detect abnormalities in the body.

5. How can the Doppler effect problem be calculated and predicted?

The Doppler effect problem can be calculated and predicted using mathematical equations that take into account the relative motion of the source and observer, the speed of the wave, and the medium through which the wave is traveling. These calculations can be used to determine the expected change in frequency or wavelength of the wave and accurately predict its behavior.