What Steps Are Needed to Determine Coefficients in a Taylor Polynomial?

• Thread starter jlmccart03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Taylor
In summary, you are not using the given information that this is a Taylor polynomial, which is defined in terms of the function f and its derivatives.
jlmccart03
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

I got my test back and was unable to ask the professor, but how does one solve this problem specifically? I am posting an image of the entire page so you can see my original answers. I just don't know how you determine from the graph and all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 330
Physics news on Phys.org
jlmccart03 said:
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

I got my test back and was unable to ask the professor, but how does one solve this problem specifically? I am posting an image of the entire page so you can see my original answers. I just don't know how you determine from the graph and all.
Nowhere in your work are you using the given information that this is a Taylor polynomial, which is defined in terms of the function f and its derivatives. Because it's given that the polynomial is centered at 0, and since the Taylor polynomial is of degree 3, the polynomial will be in terms of f(0), f'(0), f''(0), and f'''(0).

The a) part has nothing to do with a minimum point on the graph. It has everything to do with the fact that the graph has a y-intercept of -2. The b) part has to do with what is the coefficient of x in the Taylor polynomial.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Nowhere in your work are you using the given information that this is a Taylor polynomial, which is defined in terms of the function f and its derivatives. Because it's given that the polynomial is centered at 0, and since the Taylor polynomial is of degree 3, the polynomial will be in terms of f(0), f'(0), f''(0), and f'''(0).

The a) part has nothing to do with a minimum point on the graph. It has everything to do with the fact that the graph has a y-intercept of -2. The b) part has to do with what is the coefficient of x in the Taylor polynomial.
Does every question that's asks about the first coefficient deal with finding a y intercept? Also for part b: what are the necessary steps to obtain the coefficient? I guess I am confused on how you find solid numbers when given a polynomial with just letters and x. Thanks for the help your giving btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
jlmccart03 said:
Does every question that's asks about the first coefficient deal with finding a y intercept?
That's too broad a question to answer with a yes or no.
jlmccart03 said:
Also for part b: what are the necessary steps to obtain the coefficient? I guess I am confused on how you find solid numbers when given a polynomial with just letters and x.
You are given that ##T_3(x) = a + bx + cx^2 + dx^3##. If you were given an equation y = f(x), what is theTaylor polynomial of degree 3?

Related to What Steps Are Needed to Determine Coefficients in a Taylor Polynomial?

What is the first step in solving a Taylor problem?

The first step in solving a Taylor problem is to determine the function or equation that the problem is asking you to find the Taylor series for.

What is the purpose of using a Taylor series?

The purpose of using a Taylor series is to approximate a complicated function with a simpler polynomial function, making it easier to solve and analyze.

What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of its derivatives at a particular point, while a Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series where the point is at x=0.

How do I determine the number of terms needed in a Taylor series approximation?

The number of terms needed in a Taylor series approximation depends on the desired level of accuracy. Generally, the more terms used, the more accurate the approximation will be.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a Taylor problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a Taylor problem include forgetting to check for convergence, using the wrong point for the series expansion, and making arithmetic errors when computing the derivatives.