What telescopes are good for seeing planets and galaxies?

In summary, when considering a telescope for personal research and sightseeing, it is important to determine if a permanent or portable set-up is desired, as this will affect the type of mount and aperture that can be used. For deep sky objects, a solid mount and large aperture are recommended, along with a good camera and various filters and accessories. For planetary observations, good optics and a webcam are recommended. In areas with light pollution, larger apertures can help offset this. For a budget of 2500 and below, a Dobsonian telescope is a good option for its price and quality.
Galactium
Hello,
I am currently considering on buying a telescope to do some of my own research and for sight seeing. Any recommendations? I would prefer to have a telescope that requires me to use code or at least a computer so I can familiarize myself with the mechanics.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Galactium said:
Hello,
I am currently considering on buying a telescope to do some of my own research and for sight seeing. Any recommendations? I would prefer to have a telescope that requires me to use code or at least a computer so I can familiarize myself with the mechanics.

Do you live at a dark sky site and plan on doing a permanent mounting? Or do you plan to drive out to one to set up? That will kind of limit both the mount, and the aperture you'll actually be able to use.

For deep sky, you want a very solid mount (longer exposure with minimal tracking error), as big of an aperture that you can set up (the giant light bucket), and a good camera + various filters/accessories(I run a filter wheel with 9 filters for various things, various lenses for various things, etc). The camera is vital, and is far more enjoyable as compared to optical observations (at least for me).

Planetary you just want good optics, great seeing, and maybe a webcam.

If you live in an area with a lot of light pollution, you're going to be running filters. So a large aperture will help offset that when you aren't driving off to a dark sky site. You want the largest aperture with the best optics you can afford/set up. I have a 14 inch on a dyi mount out in the backyard in a shed that's rigged up to run everything. I would never think about dragging that tube and a motorized mount out to set up somewhere. (I would probably never use it if I had to set it up each time!) A SCT scope is your best bet for a jack of all trades, and smaller set up. They can be a pain to get accurately tracking objects. A 8-10 inch tube would probably be the max I would feel comfortable enough to set up somewhere on my own.

As far as cameras, I have a MallinCam and ATIK camera. The ATIK is for deep space mostly, the MC is when I want to look at pretty video of planets.

Galactium said:
Hello,
If one wants a really good telescope consider an Obsession Dobsonian telescope - http://www.obsessiontelescopes.com/
They are somewhat expensive.

Likes |Glitch|
Galactium said:
Hello,
Welcome to PF!

What is your budget and what are you more interested in; planets or deep sky objects?

I live where there is some considerable amount of light pollution, not too much. I was planning to buy one and go to a more excluded area. Wow, this is extremely helpful! Thank you!

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

What is your budget and what are you more interested in; planets or deep sky objects?
2500 and below. I'm not sure if this is a good price range because their are a lot of expensive telescopes with good quality. I think this might get me decent telescope. Deep sky objects. Thank you.
Student100 said:
Do you live at a dark sky site and plan on doing a permanent mounting? Or do you plan to drive out to one to set up? That will kind of limit both the mount, and the aperture you'll actually be able to use.

For deep sky, you want a very solid mount (longer exposure with minimal tracking error), as big of an aperture that you can set up (the giant light bucket), and a good camera + various filters/accessories(I run a filter wheel with 9 filters for various things, various lenses for various things, etc). The camera is vital, and is far more enjoyable as compared to optical observations (at least for me).

Planetary you just want good optics, great seeing, and maybe a webcam.

If you live in an area with a lot of light pollution, you're going to be running filters. So a large aperture will help offset that when you aren't driving off to a dark sky site. You want the largest aperture with the best optics you can afford/set up. I have a 14 inch on a dyi mount out in the backyard in a shed that's rigged up to run everything. I would never think about dragging that tube and a motorized mount out to set up somewhere. (I would probably never use it if I had to set it up each time!) A SCT scope is your best bet for a jack of all trades, and smaller set up. They can be a pain to get accurately tracking objects. A 8-10 inch tube would probably be the max I would feel comfortable enough to set up somewhere on my own.

As far as cameras, I have a MallinCam and ATIK camera. The ATIK is for deep space mostly, the MC is when I want to look at pretty video of planets.

Galactium said:
Hello,
I have to agree with Astronuc. For the price you would be hard-pressed to do better than a Dobsonian telescope. Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes (SCT) are probably the most common privately owned telescope because they can be very compact. However, the key with any telescope is the amount of light they are able to capture and that comes down to the size of its primary concave reflective mirror. With a Dobsonian telescope you can get a larger primary mirror than with a SCT for the same price.

The Dobsonian telescope refers to the type of mount. It is a Newtonian-style telescope with its mount in its base. Which does not lend itself well to a German Equatorial Mount (GEM). They do have computerized Dobsonian telescopes, but they are not as good at tracking objects over time as a GEM, and for that reason do not work as well for astrophotography.

If astrophotography or imaging is your primary motivation, then you might be better served with a SCT and a good GEM. For the price range you mentioned, you could probably find a decent 8" SCT with a GEM and a few necessary accessories. That is big enough to see the planets. If imaging is not your primary motivation, then for the same price you could probably find a good 12" Dobsonian telescope with a computerized mount, or even a 16" Dobsonian telescope without a computerized mount. For observing deep space objects, the Dobsonian telescopes would be the better choice.

Something like this would be a good start (plus a camera):
http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes...efinementValueIds=4519&refineByCategoryId=343

The main difficulty is in guiding for long exposure. In order to get exposures of more than about 30 seconds, you'd need a guidance system a second camera, which generally also means a second telescope.

[edit] I forgot to ask if your main interest was in observing with your eyes or taking pictures. The Dobsonian would be about as good for using your eyes and a bunch cheaper (though not computerized/guided).

When I was studying astrophysics 40 years ago, I got to use a Celestron 14-inch. It was great for looking at features on the moon, or the planets, as well as nebulae, galaxies and other celestial objects. Those telescopes have become more complex and more expensive.

One can review a variety of telescopes and prices at Celestron
http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/telescopes/series

There are numerous telescope manufacturers.
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-equipment/telescopes/
http://www.scopereviews.com/matrix.html

The best viewing is in places like the Davis mountains in Texas, near the McDonald observatory, or sites near other observatories. There is a group that usually goes to the Grand Canyon in the summer months.

I haven't been on the practical Astronomy scene for long but I have some valid points to make. The first is in response to your "considering". It would be a good ting not to invest too much money and effort into your first telescope because you may just not find astronomy as good as you hoped. The essential thing is that it must be CONVENIENT enough to use, which will run against its light gathering power and steadiness - but your first telescope will not be your last. If it is, then you could have wasted money which could go on your next hobby. The answer to that dilemma lies with your personal circs and money.
My next point is about the GOTO thing. It is possible to buy a Goto system and use it without much idea at all about where those lovely objects actually are. It's just the same as vehicle SatNav - people go all over the place and never realize they passed just a few miles from a fantastic Pub, View, Ancient Monument, Astronomy Store because they never looked at a map.
I bought a Dobsonian (8") at the start of the Summer (initial cost only 160GBP and I am really pleased with it) and then bought some better eyepieces and a right angle finder - after deciding what I really needed (I probably spent another 300GBP on the extras). I am still struggling to see things but I am learning as fast as the clouds will let me. Star hopping is very satisfying and you get to recognise patterns because you have to. If you buy a (some) books on astronomy, you will learn how much more you can see with a big aperture - before spending any money! That may be obvious but a beginner will just not spot things (as with other observing hobbies) without help and a light bucket will help you. But not if it's sitting in your house because of the struggle to get it out into the garden or fit it in the car. Consider an expensive pair of bins and a firm tripod. Excellent value and extremely versatile. I only really started using and appreciating my nice binos after I bought my Dobs.

1. What type of telescope is best for seeing planets and galaxies?

The best type of telescope for seeing planets and galaxies is a refracting telescope. This type of telescope uses lenses to gather and focus light, providing high-quality, detailed images of celestial objects.

2. What size telescope is needed to see planets and galaxies?

The size of the telescope is not as important as the quality of the optics. A smaller telescope with high-quality optics can provide better views than a larger telescope with lower-quality optics. However, for optimal viewing of planets and galaxies, a telescope with an aperture of at least 4 inches is recommended.

3. Can I see planets and galaxies with a beginner telescope?

Yes, it is possible to see planets and galaxies with a beginner telescope. However, the views may not be as clear and detailed as with a higher-quality telescope. It is important to have realistic expectations and understand that a beginner telescope may not provide the same level of detail as a more advanced telescope.

4. What are the best locations for viewing planets and galaxies with a telescope?

The best locations for viewing planets and galaxies with a telescope are areas with minimal light pollution and clear, dark skies. This can include remote areas outside of cities or designated stargazing locations. It is also important to check weather conditions and avoid viewing during cloudy or hazy nights.

5. Do I need any additional equipment or accessories to see planets and galaxies with my telescope?

While not necessary, some additional equipment or accessories can enhance the viewing experience. A good quality eyepiece can provide better magnification and clarity, and a mount or tripod can help stabilize the telescope for more accurate viewing. Filters can also be useful for reducing light pollution or enhancing specific features of celestial objects.