What to do if you get distracted by video games

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of getting distracted by video games, which is affecting the individual's studies and grades. The advice given is to treat it as an addiction and find alternative hobbies or activities, such as physical exercise, to replace the time spent on gaming. Professional help may also be necessary if the behavior continues. The conversation also mentions personal experiences and tips for managing distractions and completing homework effectively.
ISamson
Gold Member
What to do if you get distracted by video games every time I have free unlimited wifi and a laptop with me?
Advice - thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to stop playing little by little, maybe doing some physical activity.

It is not that I play like crazy everyday, but a bit sneakily when I am alone and I think it it affects me badly.
I don't play much, but better without playing at all...
I do lots of judo at my club 4-5 times per week for 2 hours, it is not that I lay in bed all day in front of my computer.
Thank you @Grands.

So what's the problem?

Grands said:
So what's the problem?

I think it affects my studies quite badly. My average for HASS tests was ~90% and in my last 2 tests I got ~60-70%. That's crap. (:mad::headbang:).
I think it is because of games.

Likes Grands
If you think so, stop playing video games and do another kind of hobby.

Likes Joe Fatuch
And plus I am in HPL (high performance learning) which has harder tests and requires more.
I have many hobbies. Sport, electronics, studying...

ISamson said:
What to do if you get distracted by video games every time I have free unlimited wifi and a laptop with me?
Advice - thank you.
I'm afraid you'll have to treat it as an addiction. I'm not saying you are or to which degree you are, but the mechanisms are the same. Now everyone has different methods to deal with such, some might work others might not. This goes as far as searching for professional help if it gets worse. Grand's advice for physical activities already goes in that direction, as sports is a common method to treat mental issues, as e.g. depression. Another method could be to conceive a daily schedule which also contains video games, but on an hourly basis and you'll have to follow it. This - as probably many tricks - requires a decent amount of self discipline, which is usually the most difficult part. Here comes medical consultations into play, because an addiction should be treated professionally. Again, I'm not claiming you are addicted, especially not at which stage. But you should be careful, because your behaviors might result in one. So far any tips which will work heavily depend on circumstances and personal properties we cannot know and which normally differ a lot among individuals. Another yet unmentioned method is to consider your studies as a kind of video game. I know, the graphics are really poor, but quests and mysteries are much better and always leading to unknown grounds and levels!

Likes ISamson and Grands
When I was your age, I was distracted by video-games. I am only 11 years older than you;you are twelve years old. It wasn't too long ago that I was in the same spot as you. I was just so fantasized by the world of video-games that it made my younger self drool with saliva. I just had to be playing video-games all day. However, as a result, I never did my homework and didn't do well at school.

I wish I have done this when I was in middle-school and high-school. I should had done my homework at school even it if meant staying after school is over. I could not do my homework at my house. Even today, I can't do my homework at my house unless it's an assignment I can do in 15 minutes. I have no idea how people can study for several hours at their home instead of at the library. I find studying at my home difficult.

In short, stop doing your homework at your house then you will be able to complete your homework.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Mmm_Pasta and ISamson
fresh_42 said:
I'm afraid you'll have to treat it as an addiction. I'm not saying you are or to which degree you are, but the mechanisms are the same. Now everyone has different methods to deal with such, some might work others might not. This goes as far as searching for professional help if it gets worse. Grand's advice for physical activities already goes in that direction, as sports is a common method to treat mental issues, as e.g. depression. Another method could be to conceive a daily schedule which also contains video games, but on an hourly basis and you'll have to follow it. This - as probably many tricks - requires a decent amount of self discipline, which is usually the most difficult part. Here comes medical consultations into play, because an addiction should be treated professionally. Again, I'm not claiming you are addicted, especially not at which stage. But you should be careful, because your behaviors might result in one. So far any tips which will work heavily depend on circumstances and personal properties we cannot know and which normally differ a lot among individuals. Another yet unmentioned method is to consider your studies as a kind of video game. I know, the graphics are really poor, but quests and mysteries are much better and always leading to unknown grounds and levels!
The bad issue is that most of video games are made to create addiction, especially the poor quality ones, like TV series.
So I don't know if limitations it to an hour could solve the problem or make it bigger.
Anyway, in my option @ISamson you can try to play video games only when you are with more friends, cause in this case you socialize with them and interact in a different way with video games.

ISamson said:
Someone else asked roughly the same question about a year ago, and was concerned that spending too much time playing video games was adversely affecting his grades.

The consensus of that discussion was basically this: exercise some self-control and self-discipline. Working on judo is a good alternative. Do you have any other hobbies or activities that you enjoy doing?

Likes ISamson and Apple_Mango
@ISamson (fellow judoka here!) Video games aren't inherently evil, but sure, just like a lot of other things they can really be a time sink if you're not careful.

Here's a few tips on how to keep them under control...
  1. Playing video games is part of your down time. Most people need some kind of down time, particularly when they're otherwise engaged in pretty stressful or intense learning activities. I think it's important to acknowledge this. If you choose to play video games as a part of your down time, that's great. But recognize it for what it is.
  2. And as others have already alluded to: make the games a part of your downtime, but not the entire thing. It sounds like you're already leading a pretty balanced life with other activities. So maybe this is more for others with a similar issue reading this, but you want to make sure that the games are not also a substitute for something else - socialization, for example.
  3. Organize your study time and plan breaks. People do this in different ways. You might want to set a goal-oriented schedule, for example: review chapter 7 in the textbook, and work on problems 1-5. Then give yourself a fifteen minute break where you can play. Then start on your next block, problems 5-15, etc.
  4. To the extent that you can, do the tough parts of your studies first. Often the hardest part of studying is opening the books in the first place. But once you get going, it's a lot easier to keep going.
  5. Practice stopping your play, even when you don't have to. This helps to develop the self-discipline to stop when you need to, even when the game is going really well.

Likes ISamson
Choppy said:
Most people need some kind of down time, particularly when they're otherwise engaged in pretty stressful or intense learning activities. I think it's important to acknowledge this. If you choose to play video games as a part of your down time, that's great. But recognize it for what it is.

Yes. Many tests and work... Stressful!

In general:
I do not play games a lot. In fact when I look at other people, I think that in comparison to them I do not even play games.
I am sitting at school right now and more than half the people (my friends) around me are playing intensive Call of Duty, Ravenfield, GTA...
Of course I am distracted! I try to control myself and try to distract myself with PF and reading articles, but games are so hard to control...

Thanks everyone for advice!

Video games are a hard habit to kick. The hardest part is that most games are NOT designed for bite-sized entertainment. I've had this same problem many times myself. One of my best solutions that I have found was limiting the types of games that I played to games that have short and/or defined limits. My main source being FIFA and/or other sport-related titles. I can play one or two games and there is a clear "end" which makes it easier to step away. (Even earlier when I am playing Madden and the AI sends me up the wall after 5 minutes.lol)

However, to be honest, the hardest but best approach is to pull the consoles out and stuff them in a closet. There are so many more mind enriching activities that you can find when your not constantly being called back to the evil glowing box. (And there is significantly less guilt with those pleasures as well.)

Either way, cherish your education while you can. Video games may be a momentary pleasure, but education will guarantee that you spend your whole life doing what you enjoy, rather than spending your whole life doing what you hate and wishing that you had worked harder when you had the chance.

Best of luck!

Likes ISamson
Joe Fatuch said:
However, to be honest, the hardest but best approach is to pull the consoles out and stuff them in a closet. There are so many more mind enriching activities that you can find when your not constantly being called back to the evil glowing box. (And there is significantly less guilt with those pleasures as well.)

Either way, cherish your education while you can. Video games may be a momentary pleasure, but education will guarantee that you spend your whole life doing what you enjoy, rather than spending your whole life doing what you hate and wishing that you had worked harder when you had the chance.
Very well said!

Before I enlisted in the Navy, I was going full time to university. An understatement would be that I had a huge addiction to video games. I'm talking over 12 hours a day. Needless to say, I failed all my classes. What I did when I started school again was to restrict myself from them entirely. I still have an Xbox for movies, but I don't mess with games anymore. They are highly addictive. Decided to play video games and get distracted is a choice. It's not being forced on you. So I would say to get rid of them in any way you can, and if you're thinking of playing them another way like on a website...dont. Adult rules apply here. I know your pains.

Likes ISamson
DS2C said:
They are highly addictive. Decided to play video games and get distracted is a choice. It's not being forced on you.
Amen to that!

Joe Fatuch said:
The hardest part is that most games are NOT designed for bite-sized entertainment.
I find that for me this actually works the other way - it makes me want to play videogames less, not more. Maybe it naturally comes with age, when you don't have that much time to devote to playing them anymore. I've been playing a certain oldschool shooter for many weeks now. I just want to have some short entertaining experience, but instead this game drags on and on. I literally have to force myself to turn it on once a week (or even once in two weeks) on weekends, play one level for an hour or two, and then turn it off with a relief (maybe this particular game is not enjoyable enough... but there is a whole backlog of good games I wanted to play but left unfinished).
I also play on the hardest difficulty setting, which could also contribute to the frustration. Hey @ISamson, what difficulty do you usually play on?

Dragon27 said:
Hey @ISamson, what difficulty do you usually play on?

I can't really rate my game like that, but medium would suit it best.
The game is Ravenfield.

1. What are some strategies for avoiding getting distracted by video games?

One strategy is to set a timer or schedule specific times during the day for playing video games so that it does not interfere with other tasks. Another strategy is to limit the amount of time spent playing video games each day.

2. How can I keep myself from getting sucked into a video game and losing track of time?

One way to prevent losing track of time while playing video games is to set an alarm or timer for when it's time to stop. You can also ask a friend or family member to remind you when it's time to take a break.

3. Are there any apps or tools that can help with managing video game distractions?

Yes, there are various apps and tools available that can help with managing video game distractions. Some examples include Forest, which plants a virtual tree and encourages you to focus on other tasks before the tree dies, and Cold Turkey, which blocks access to certain websites and apps for a set period of time.

4. How can I balance video game time with other responsibilities?

One way to balance video game time with other responsibilities is to prioritize tasks and set specific times for playing video games. It may also be helpful to create a schedule or to-do list to ensure that all responsibilities are met.

5. Is it possible to enjoy video games without getting distracted by them?

Yes, it is possible to enjoy video games without getting distracted by them. Setting boundaries and limits for video game time, as well as finding a balance between gaming and other activities, can help prevent getting too consumed by video games.