What to do to Improve cardio-respiratory system after aging

In summary: And if you can't stand up, try to move around as much as possible. Get on your hands and knees and do a push-up. Get up and walk around. And if you can't do any of those things, at least try to get up and move every two hours. :smile:In summary, older adults should try alternatives to regular physical exercises, including riding a bicycle, swimming, and taking dance or martial arts classes. Losing weight is also important.
Silicon Waffle
The older I get the worse my cardio-respiratory system becomes. I don't want to take too much exercise everyday (I am both lazy and a little "fat", my leg bones I think are no longer as good as they used to; I feel the pain even after running in a short distance; I breathe heavily after that also...).

Besides regular physical exercises, what else would you probably want to advise me to do to improve my circulatory and respiratory systems ? Thank you a lot.:wink:

Biology news on Phys.org
I think you should look at alternative exercise options. Have you tried riding a bicycle lately? That can be a fun way to get moderate exercise, and it is very low impact on your body (well, except for the high-speed mountain bike crashes, which you will hopefully not follow my lead in). It helps to wear bicycle shorts, which have a padded crotch area. And obviously wear a helmet. Work your way up from a couple miles at a time to about 20 miles at a time, and you will have improved your cardiovascular health quite a bit.

Also, do you have a swimming pool nearby that has lap lanes? Try out swimming as a workout, and you may enjoy it a lot. Then you can sign up for a Masters program near you, and take some lessons to improve your stroke mechanics. Masters workouts typically have several levels, including an introductory one. :smile:

Likes Silicon Waffle
berkeman said:
I think you should look at alternative exercise options. Have you tried riding a bicycle lately? That can be a fun way to get moderate exercise, and it is very low impact on your body (well, except for the high-speed mountain bike crashes, which you will hopefully not follow my lead in). It helps to wear bicycle shorts, which have a padded crotch area. And obviously wear a helmet. Work your way up from a couple miles at a time to about 20 miles at a time, and you will have improved your cardiovascular health quite a bit.

Also, do you have a swimming pool nearby that has lap lanes? Try out swimming as a workout, and you may enjoy it a lot. Then you can sign up for a Masters program near you, and take some lessons to improve your stroke mechanics. Masters workouts typically have several levels, including an introductory one. :smile:
Thanks berkeman, I truly love riding one (and also horses but I have never had a chance to). I don't own a bicycle now but I think I will buy one. I like that sport outfit.
There is a swimming pool near my house. I don't like it because of its size, short and without any lap lanes. I like the long one with clear lap lanes and it shouldn't be less than 1.6 meters in depth; the water should be clean and well filtered daily. I love the long pools with salty water as it won't hurt my eyes while swimming.

I've got two words for you... :smile:

http://bestswimgoggles.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/best-swimming-goggles.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Silicon Waffle
BTW, have you talked with your family doctor about this? He or she can probably recommend some very appropriate ways that you can improve your cardiovascular health. They will base their advice on your current physical shape, and can do some tests to see what forms of exercise and levels of exercise would benifit you the most.

For example, they can do a treadmill-based test that monitors your heart and breathing to see what your cardiovascular health is right now. :smile:

Likes Silicon Waffle
Exercise doesn't have to be about running or working yourself hard. What about just trying to incorporate more physical activity into your lifestyle? Walk. Ride a bicycle not just for the exercise, but to get places. Go hiking on the weekend. Do some landscaping work. Look for activities that you enjoy that get you up and moving: take a dance class, try a martial art, or join in some kind of recreational sport - anything from squash to volleyball.

On top of that there are a couple of other big things. Losing weight is a big one. When you think about it, if you lose even 20 pounds, that's twenty pounds of fat that your heart doesn't have to push blood through anymore. The big secret to losing weight is that there isn't one. Control your potions. Avoid junk food. At least half of what you eat should be a fruit or a vegetable.

Another phrase that I'm starting to hear: sitting is the new smoking. If you have a sedentary job, make sure you get up frequently.

Likes Silicon Waffle and berkeman

What is cardio-respiratory system?

The cardio-respiratory system is a network of organs and tissues, including the heart, lungs, and blood vessels, that work together to deliver oxygen and nutrients to the body's cells and remove waste products.

Why does the cardio-respiratory system decline with age?

As we age, our body's tissues and organs naturally undergo changes and become less efficient. This includes the heart and lungs, which may experience decreased muscle mass, stiffness, and reduced oxygen delivery.

What are some ways to improve the cardio-respiratory system after aging?

Regular physical activity, such as aerobic exercise, can help improve the cardio-respiratory system after aging. This can include activities like walking, jogging, cycling, or swimming.

How often and how long should I exercise to improve my cardio-respiratory system?

The American Heart Association recommends at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week for adults. It is best to spread this activity throughout the week, with sessions lasting at least 10 minutes each.

Are there any other lifestyle changes that can help improve the cardio-respiratory system after aging?

In addition to regular exercise, maintaining a healthy diet, managing stress, and avoiding smoking can also contribute to a healthier cardio-respiratory system in older adults.