What to Do When Input Voltage is Variable? | 5-20mA Range Explained

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about using varying load resistance to change the current through a circuit with a constant input voltage. The input voltage is not constant, making the situation confusing. The speaker suggests decreasing the load resistance to accept all the current and leave none for the zener diode. The conversation also touches on the inefficiency of zener regulators and the importance of including the zener current in calculations. Ultimately, it is determined that the correct answer to the given multiple choice question is 390 ohm.
Kaguro
Homework Statement
A zener regulator has an input voltage in the range 15V-20V and a load current in the range of 5mA-20mA. If the zener voltage is 6.8V, the value of the series resistor should be:
(a)390Ω
(b)420Ω
(c)440Ω
(d)460Ω
Relevant Equations
Stuff
zener.png

This is a very confusing situation for me. If the input voltage were constant, then I would be able to understand that by varying load resistance, I can change the current through it, such that the drop across the load = Vz = 6.8V.

But the input voltage is also not constant. So what am I to understand? The 5-20mA range is for what voltage?

I only know:
If Vs is source voltage, then
Vs- I*Rs - 6.8=0
So, I*Rs = Vs-6.8

So, Imax = (20-6.8)/Rs
Imin = (15-6.8)/Rs

This is total current through series resistor. Some of it will run through zener and some through load. But load itself is variable.

Please show me some way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the limiting case is that R has to be small enough to pass at least the required load current when the input voltage is at its minimum. R can be smaller, but that just wastes extra power in the Zener diode. (It's unfortunate that they did not give you a real V-I curve for the Zener, so you could include its Zener current at 6.8V, but whatever).

Using that datapoint, I think you will see that only one of the choices that you are given will work. Can you show the calculation for the case I described? :smile:

Likes etotheipi, cnh1995 and DaveE
So the input voltage is minimum, Vs=15V.

Now R is small enough to allow for the load current to flow. Now that our source is fixed, we can decrease the load resistance so as to accept all the current and leave none for the zener.

So Iz=0 and IL=I
This is limiting case and zener should still drop approximately 6.8V.

Now since we made load small, it should conduct maximum current to have IL=20mA.

Now, 15-IR-6.8=0
And I=20mA.

So we get R= 410 ohm.

Now tell me what's wrong.

Kaguro said:
Now tell me what's wrong.
Nothing is wrong, that is the same number I calculated. Now remember my comment about how R can be less than that value -- all that does is waste a little power in Iz. So the correct answer out of your multiple choices is... :smile:

Likes Kaguro
berkeman said:
Nothing is wrong, that is the same number I calculated. Now remember my comment about how R can be less than that value -- all that does is waste a little power in Iz. So the correct answer out of your multiple choices is... :smile:
(A)390 ohm.

:biggrin:Thanks very much!

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
(It's unfortunate that they did not give you a real V-I curve for the Zener, so you could include its Zener current at 6.8V, but whatever)
True. Some textbooks provide an appendix with sample datasheets for typical parts for some of the examples and problems. Might be worth checking.

Kaguro said:
Now R is small enough to allow for the load current to flow. Now that our source is fixed, we can decrease the load resistance so as to accept all the current and leave none for the zener.

Rough rule of thumb for relatively low voltage / power zeners is to assume a minimum zener on-current of between 5 and 10 mA. Unless the zener is at least turned on and biased to the zener region it won't be providing adequate regulation, and performance will likely be wonky near the lower range of the input voltage.

Likes berkeman
gneill said:
Rough rule of thumb for relatively low voltage / power zeners is to assume a minimum zener on-current of between 5 and 10 mA. Unless the zener is at least turned on and biased to the zener region it won't be providing adequate regulation, and performance will likely be wonky near the lower range of the input voltage.
Yeah, that's why I really wanted to have a datasheet to check. It's surprising how inefficient Zener regulators are, once you factor in the Iz needed to get Vz into the rated voltage range.

The problem seems to be (over-) simplifying to say that the Vz = 6.8V even without any Iz. At least that's the way I'm interpreting it so far... :smile:

Likes gneill
berkeman said:
It's surprising how inefficient Zener regulators are
Yes. They make for good circuit design teaching. However, in the modern world, you're going to use an IC regulator in any but the simplest clamping applications.

1. What does it mean when input voltage is variable?

When input voltage is variable, it means that the voltage being supplied to a device or system is not constant and can change over time. This can be due to fluctuations in the power source or changes in the environment.

2. Why is input voltage variability a concern?

Input voltage variability can be a concern because it can affect the performance and accuracy of the device or system. If the input voltage is not within the specified range, it can lead to incorrect readings or malfunctions.

3. What is the 5-20mA range and why is it important?

The 5-20mA range refers to the current range commonly used for industrial process control systems. It is important because it allows for a standardized and reliable way to transmit signals and control devices, even in environments with variable input voltage.

4. How can I ensure proper operation when input voltage is variable?

To ensure proper operation when input voltage is variable, it is important to use devices and systems that are designed to handle a range of input voltages. Additionally, using voltage regulators or stabilizers can help maintain a consistent voltage supply.

5. Can variable input voltage be harmful to devices?

Yes, variable input voltage can be harmful to devices if it exceeds the specified range. High voltage can cause damage to components and low voltage can result in incorrect readings or malfunctions. It is important to use devices and systems that are designed to handle a range of input voltages to prevent damage.