Difficulty in Understanding Inverter Terms

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding the current and voltage ratings of an inverter, specifically at the input and output sides. The formula for converting these ratings is also mentioned, with an example of a power supply of 24V and 1.6APk. The conversation also raises questions about the limitations of power, voltage, and current in maintaining a constant power output, as well as the need to select a motor that meets the power supply requirements or design an inverter for it. Finally, the conversation touches on the issue of current sensing and the maximum current that flows through, with a request for advice on how to derive the equation. However, the speaker suggests that without the specifications for the inverter, these questions
PhysicsTest
Homework Statement
To understand the current and voltage rating terminology of the inverter.
Relevant Equations
NA
I have a great difficulty in understanding the current and voltage ratings of the inverter, at the input of the inverter the ratings are different compared to the output side. What are the formulae of those conversions example,
1672249672498.png

If i check the above diagram, power supply is 24V, 1.6APk
a. Does it mean the inverter is designed for 24*1.6 = 38.4 Watts?
b. Power is constant can the voltage and current can be different to maintain power, ex: 12V, 3.2A pk = 38.4 Watts? Will there be any limitations on that i mean lower limit on voltage?
c. The motor specifications are again the same, so i need to select a motor which meets my power supply requirements or i need to design an inverter for a motor?
d. Most important is in the current sensing it can read upto 45Apk, when my input is only 1.6A pk why it is required to measure on power side of 45A? How much maximum current flows through and what is the equation to derive it? Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of your questions can be answered by finding the specifications for the inverter. Without those I think we're simply playing a guessing game.

Inverter specs are often confusing. You are jumping into the deep end of the pool here. Peak amps is hard to relate to other things, like power. This one I would just take at face value; i.e. you know the peak current but not much else. If they really wanted to describe the limitations of this circuit, they would need more numbers and words to go with them. Often the specs you see only relate to what the user has to do/expect, not how the circuit works. The real answers are too complex for their customers.

Likes scottdave

1. What is an inverter?

An inverter is an electronic device that converts direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC) for use in electrical systems. It is commonly used in solar panels and other renewable energy sources.

2. What is the difference between a grid-tied and off-grid inverter?

A grid-tied inverter is connected to the utility grid and synchronizes its output with the grid's frequency and voltage. An off-grid inverter, on the other hand, is not connected to the grid and must generate its own frequency and voltage.

3. What is the difference between a pure sine wave and modified sine wave inverter?

A pure sine wave inverter produces a smooth and continuous wave that is similar to the AC power from the utility grid. A modified sine wave inverter produces a choppy wave that can cause issues with sensitive electronics.

4. How do I determine the right size inverter for my needs?

The size of the inverter depends on the wattage of the appliances or devices you want to power. Add up the wattage of all the devices and choose an inverter with a slightly higher wattage rating to ensure it can handle the load.

5. What is the difference between inverter efficiency and inverter power factor?

Inverter efficiency is the ratio of output power to input power, while inverter power factor is the ratio of real power to apparent power. In simple terms, efficiency measures how well the inverter converts DC to AC, while power factor measures how well the inverter handles reactive power.