What values of WT should I use for internal radiation dose calculations?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of effective dose using the equation Effective dose = WT*WR*WT,R. There is confusion about what values of WT to use for different scenarios, specifically for the neutron whole-body dose and the ingested doses of 90Sr and 131I. The individual asking for help has already calculated the effective dose for neutrons using WR, but is unsure about the values of WT to use. They have received conflicting information about whether or not to use WT, as they have used a coefficient in their calculation.
adamworth

Homework Statement

Question attached.

I want to check what values of WT I should use.

Homework Equations

Effective dose = WT*WR*WT,R

The Attempt at a Solution

For the neutron whole-body dose I have WT = 1.

For the ingested 90Sr and 131I, I also have WT = 1. Are these correct or does "ingested" mean I should take a value of WT = 0.12 (stomach), or should I use WT = 0.04 (thyroid)?

Thank you for any help

Attachments

• Question 8.jpg
    Question 8.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
First you must calculate the effective dose du to neutrons with Wr, second calculate the effective dose du to ingestion of Sr (with dose intake conversion factor)

Hi, yes I've done that, I need to know what values of WT to use. But actually you said I don't need to use WT as I used a coefficient. I will send you my answer by pm.

1. What is internal radiation dose?

Internal radiation dose refers to the amount of radiation that is absorbed by the body from a source that is located within the body, such as radioactive material that has been ingested or inhaled.

2. How is internal radiation dose measured?

Internal radiation dose is typically measured in units of radiation dose such as millisieverts (mSv) or microgray (μGy) using specialized instruments and techniques, such as whole body scanning or urine/blood analysis.

3. What factors can affect internal radiation dose?

The amount of internal radiation dose a person receives can be influenced by various factors, including the type and amount of radioactive material present, the length of exposure, and the person's size and distance from the source.

4. What are the potential health effects of internal radiation dose?

The potential health effects of internal radiation dose depend on the type and amount of radiation exposure, as well as the individual's overall health and age. Possible effects may include radiation sickness, increased risk of cancer, and genetic damage.

5. How can internal radiation dose be reduced or controlled?

There are several ways to reduce or control internal radiation dose, such as limiting or avoiding exposure to sources of radiation, practicing good hygiene to prevent ingestion or inhalation of radioactive materials, and following safety precautions in occupational or medical settings where radiation exposure may occur.