What was the average force exerted by the wall on the ball during the collision?

In summary, a ball traveling horizontally at 25.0 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 20.0 m/s. The ball is in contact with the wall for 3.50 ms, and the average acceleration during this time is 1.29*10^4 m/s^2. Using the equation F = ma, the average force exerted by the wall on the ball is calculated to be 2.32*10^3 N.
Nirupt

Homework Statement

Above you had a ball traveling horizontally at 25.0 m/s bouncing off a brick wall and rebounding at 20.0 m/s. The ball was in contact with the wall for 3.50 ms, and you found the magnitude of the average acceleration during the time the ball was in contact with the wall. Now, what was the average force that the wall exerted on the ball during this collision, if the mass of the ball is 180

Homework Equations

Where it says above all I solved a question asking for acceleration which was 1428.57 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure.. my only guess is that it goes with a free fall equation or an x not known since the ball was throw horizontally

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Newton's laws.

[tex]\vec{F}=\frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}[/tex], this is related to impulse.

Impulse is the change in momentum.

Last edited:
Nirupt said:
Where it says above all I solved a question asking for acceleration which was 1428.57 m/s^2
But that's the wrong answer for the scenario in the OP.
Presumably you arrived at that by dividing the change in velocity by the time taken, Δv/Δt.
Average force is defined similarly: change in momentum divided by time taken.

I probably should have posted my optional answers:

2.32 * 10^3 N

1.61 * 10^3 N

952 N

4.06 * 10^4 N I'll post my attempt later tonight when I am home.

Nirupt said:
I'll post my attempt later tonight when I am home.
But you need to get the average acceleration right first. it's nearly ten times the figure you posted.

1.43 * 10^3 was the answer for acceleration

Nirupt said:
1.43 * 10^3 was the answer for acceleration
Are you saying that's the answer you got or that it is the correct answer? And are you saying it is the average acceleration for this scenario?:
a ball traveling horizontally at 25.0 m/s bouncing off a brick wall and rebounding at 20.0 m/s. The ball was in contact with the wall for 3.50 ms
(20+25)/.0035 = 1.29*104.
You appear to have calculated (25*2)/0.035.

Ah thanks for the correction. So.. this makes F = Ma easier to use correct?

1.29*10^4*180 = 2.32*10^3 N since mass and acceleration are known

That's it.

1. What is the force exerted by a wall?

The force exerted by a wall refers to the amount of pressure or push that the wall exerts on an object or surface that is in contact with it. It is a reaction force that is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force applied on the wall.

2. How is the force exerted by a wall calculated?

The force exerted by a wall can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. However, in most cases, the force exerted by a wall is simply the weight of the object that is in contact with it.

3. Can the force exerted by a wall be greater than the force applied?

No, according to Newton's Third Law of Motion, the force exerted by a wall is always equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force applied on it. Therefore, the force exerted by a wall cannot be greater than the force applied.

4. What factors can affect the force exerted by a wall?

The main factor that can affect the force exerted by a wall is the weight of the object that is in contact with it. Other factors such as the angle of the object, the surface area of contact, and the type of material the wall is made of can also have an impact on the force exerted.

5. Is the force exerted by a wall always perpendicular to the surface?

Yes, the force exerted by a wall is always perpendicular to the surface that it is in contact with. This is because the force is a reaction to the force applied on the wall, and according to Newton's Third Law, the forces are always equal and opposite to each other.