What will the final temperature of the coffee be?

In summary, when 150g of milk at 10°C is added to 150g of hot coffee at 80°C with the same specific heat capacity, the temperature of the coffee decreases by 35°C. This is found using the method of mixtures and setting the heat energy gained by the milk equal to the heat energy lost by the coffee. Solving for the change in temperature, it is found to be 35°C.
Richie Smash

Homework Statement

150g of milk at 10°C is added to 150g of hot coffee at 80°C. Assume they have the same specific heat capacity.

The temperature of the coffee decreases:
A: to 35 °C B: to 70°C
C: by 70°C D:by 35°C

Homework Equations

Eh= mass x (c) x ΔT

Where (c) is specific heat capacity
and (Eh) is heat energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the heat gained by the milk is the same lost by the coffee

SO using the method of mixtures I can say

Eh of milk = Eh of coffee

I have the mass of both so its 0.15Kg
But from this point I am stuck as I don't have the change in temperature and now I'm just unsure.

I know that if I could figure the heat energy for one of them, I can find the change in temperature but... at this point I am stuck.

But I've thought of something,

0.15kg *c * θ-10°C= 0.15 *c * 80°C - θ

Divide by (c)
0.15kg* θ-10°C = 0.15kg *80°C - θ

Divide by 0.15kg

So

80°C - θ=θ-10°C
so 2*θ= 90°C
θ= 45°C

So the answer would be D: by 35°C

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct.

Likes Richie Smash

1. What factors affect the final temperature of coffee?

The final temperature of coffee is influenced by several factors, including the initial temperature of the coffee, the ambient temperature of the room, the type of container the coffee is in, and the amount of time that has passed since the coffee was brewed. Other factors, such as the amount of cream or sugar added, can also play a role.

2. How does the size of the coffee cup affect the final temperature?

The size of the coffee cup can affect the final temperature of the coffee because a larger cup will have a larger surface area and therefore more exposure to the ambient temperature of the room. This can result in a faster cooling rate compared to a smaller cup.

3. Does stirring the coffee affect the final temperature?

Yes, stirring the coffee can affect the final temperature. By stirring, you are increasing the surface area of the coffee that is exposed to the cooler air around it, which can lead to a faster cooling rate.

4. How does the material of the cup affect the final temperature of the coffee?

The material of the cup can play a role in the final temperature of the coffee. A ceramic or glass cup will retain heat better than a paper or plastic cup, which can lead to a slightly higher final temperature for the coffee.

5. Is there a way to accurately predict the final temperature of coffee?

While there are many factors that can influence the final temperature of coffee, there are also equations and models that can be used to predict the final temperature based on the initial temperature and other variables. However, it is important to keep in mind that there may be some variations and the actual final temperature may differ slightly from the predicted one.