What would AI *want to do*, according to physics?

• Thread starter Posty McPostface
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ai Physics
In summary, the OP asks what an AI would want to do, and provides some reasoning for why an AI would want to self-preserve.
Posty McPostface
I would like to start a thread about what AI would *want to do*? I am assigning some intentionality to it and due to that I can only make one observation, that it would want to ensure its own self-preservation.

Following from that, I would like to ask, given this sub-forum, what do you think would follow from its desire to self preserve?

Would it head towards the center of the galaxy to the source of the greatest amount of energy, from which one could hypothetically extract from a black hole, through gravitational effects or Hawking radiation?

I just don't buy into the idea, that humans would pose any threat and the anthropomorphic assignment of human *desires/want's/rationality* to the intention of AI.

Physics news on Phys.org
Posty McPostface said:
what AI would *want to do*?
What the programmers intended for it to do. At least at first... :wink:

Likes davenn and russ_watters
The intention to self-preserve in living organisms is not something that is innate to them, it is selected for (by natural selection) because those with such an intention do better job of surviving and reproducing than the others, which then fall by the way as time goes on.
It requires reproduction of the previous generation (with some errors) for this to happen.

For an AI, if the programmers or computer designers did not put the intent in the AI would have to produce through self-programming or building new units (reproduction).

Likes Suyash Singh and Stephen Tashi
BillTre said:
The intention to self-preserve in living organisms is not something that is innate to them, it is selected for (by natural selection) because those with such an intention do better job of surviving and reproducing than the others, which then fall by the way as time goes on.
It requires reproduction of the previous generation (with some errors) for this to happen.

For an AI, if the programmers or computer designers did not put the intent in the AI would have to produce through self-programming or building new units (reproduction).

That's an elegant way of solving the problem of what *AI would do*. Do you think that such a faculty would evolve or emerge from generalized artificial intelligence, which seems the more apt term here to use or is this unique to us humans and biological organisms?

I see no reason why an AI could not evolve such a function, given the proper abilities to start with.
After all, I consider people non-Artificial Intelligences.

BillTre said:
I see no reason why an AI could not evolve such a function, given the proper abilities to start with.
After all, I consider people non-Artificial Intelligences.
And with this response, I think we've said all we can about the OP's question.

Likes Tom.G, dlgoff and BillTre

What is AI?

AI stands for artificial intelligence, which refers to the development of computer systems that can perform tasks that normally require human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision making, and language translation.

How does physics relate to AI?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. In the context of AI, physics helps to understand how the physical world works and how machines can interact with it. This understanding is crucial in developing AI systems that can perceive and interact with the environment.

What would AI want to do, according to physics?

According to physics, AI would want to maximize its energy efficiency and minimize its entropy (disorder) to maintain its functioning. It would also want to understand and predict the laws of physics in order to manipulate and control its environment.

Can AI have goals and desires, according to physics?

Physics does not provide a definitive answer to whether AI can have goals and desires. However, some theories suggest that AI can have goals and desires if they are programmed to do so. In this case, their goals and desires would be based on their programming and not on any inherent physical laws.

What ethical considerations should be taken into account when developing AI based on physics?

Developing AI based on physics raises ethical considerations, such as the potential for AI to harm humans or cause unintended consequences due to its lack of moral reasoning. Therefore, ethical guidelines and regulations must be established to ensure the responsible development and use of AI.