What would crack easier? An iPhone 6 or an iPad air?

In summary: Phone."According to Apple.com, "the vast majority of consumers who have contacted us have had a great experience with their new iPhone."
Jbeats245
If I took a hammer to each of the screens, which would crack first with a minimum amount of force? If I put a screen protector on it, would it change the answer of which one would crack first? I tried to pick two models which had similar frames. If the using different models actually makes it a simpler problem go ahead and try it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics is an experimental science.

Likes TheDemx27 and Orodruin
Patience, Borek. Before unleashing your inner beast, you must create the hypothesizes!

Anyway, assuming both gadgets use the same Gorilla glass and you put the hammer on the center of their screens: I believe the iPad air will crack easier due to the fact that the iPhone 6 is smaller and a bit thicker & denser. This means it has more support from the frames, and the shockwave can dissipate more easily. than in iPad Air.

Besides, I'd imagine they've built the iPhone 6 much sturdier due to its predisposition to be dropped as well.

Nikitin said:
I'd imagine they've built the iPhone 6 much sturdier

You must have missed the hype:

Borek said:
You must have missed the hype:

Well, isn't curved displays the new trend anyway?

Likes Borek
If I applied that much torque around the centre of my iPhone 5, it might just crack.

Honestly the iPhone 6's a large area, very thin aluminum phone. What do you guys expect would've happened?

Last edited:
Nikitin said:
Though honestly the iPhone 6's a large area, very thin aluminum phone.
In the follow up video he bends a similar (slightly thicker?) plastic phone, and it bends back. While trying to bend the aluminum phone back, cracks it. Nice demonstration of plastic vs. elastic material behavior, ironically plastic being the elastic one here.

Mhm, but I wouldn't do that too many times; it can't be good for the components inside. At any rate, how would you get into a situation where this bending business becomes an issue? As long as you don't try to sit on a large but thin phone while wearing super-skinny jeans this shouldn't be a problem.

Nikitin said:
As long as you don't try to sit on a large but thin phone while wearing super-skinny jeans this shouldn't be a problem.
They started doing those bending tests, after some noticed a slight bend from normal usage, within a few days.

Nikitin said:
As long as you don't try to sit on a large but

What if you have no choice?

Nikitin said:
Patience, Borek. Before unleashing your inner beast, you must create the hypothesizes!

Anyway, assuming both gadgets use the same Gorilla glass and you put the hammer on the center of their screens: I believe the iPad air will crack easier due to the fact that the iPhone 6 is smaller and a bit thicker & denser. This means it has more support from the frames, and the shockwave can dissipate more easily. than in iPad Air.

Besides, I'd imagine they've built the iPhone 6 much sturdier due to its predisposition to be dropped as well.

But if there's a screen protector on it, would the shockwave dissipate easier in the iPad air since there's more surface area? They're meant to absorb most of the impact.

I don't know. I thought those were only for scratch protection.

A.T. said:
They started doing those bending tests, after some noticed a slight bend from normal usage, within a few days.
Allegedly somebody put it in his back-pocket and sat on it, and it bent, but I don't know the details. At any rate you should be careful with your new, fancy 1000 euro phone.

Nikitin said:
At any rate you should be careful with your new, fancy 1000 euro phone.

I guess people just assumed they can treat it just like their previous versions. It's not a completely unreasonable
assumption.

Nikitin said:
As long as you don't try to sit on a large but
Borek said:
What if you have no choice?
Nice snip, Borek. But a large butt would probably cause less bending of the phone.

A.T. said:
I guess people just assumed they can treat it just like their previous versions. It's not a completely unreasonable assumption.
Not sure how much more solid the iPhone 5 is compared to the smaller version of iPhone 6.

How many people have actually bent their phones this way? I read that apple had received only 6 reports/complaints about this, so it really can't be that big of a deal.

Nikitin said:
I read that apple had received only 6 reports/complaints about this
According to Apple.

1. What is the material composition of an iPhone 6 and an iPad Air?

The iPhone 6 is primarily made of aluminum and glass, while the iPad Air has an aluminum body with a glass screen.

2. Which device has a stronger glass screen?

The iPad Air has a stronger glass screen as it is made of scratch-resistant and shatter-proof Gorilla Glass, while the iPhone 6 uses a slightly less durable type of glass.

3. Which device is more likely to crack from a drop?

The iPhone 6 is more likely to crack from a drop due to its smaller size and more fragile glass composition.

4. Are there any other factors that could affect the likelihood of cracking?

Yes, other factors such as the height and angle of the drop, the surface it lands on, and the strength of the impact can also affect the likelihood of cracking for both devices.

5. Can the use of a protective case decrease the chances of cracking?

Yes, using a protective case can significantly decrease the chances of cracking for both the iPhone 6 and the iPad Air. A durable case can absorb some of the impact and protect the device from scratches and cracks.