What would the Free Body Diagram of a Trebuchet look like?

In summary, the Free Body Diagram of a Trebuchet would look something like this: There would be multiple FBDs for the system because it is a composite system. Forces acting on the system would include gravity, friction, and air resistance.
Physics Student 1
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown.
What would the Free Body Diagram of a Trebuchet look like (FOR THE SYSTEM)? Would it be comparable to a see saw/ teeter totter? I am aware of some of the forces at play, but I feel there is some I am missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is not one - the trebuchet is a composite system so you need multiple fbd's to describe it.

Likes CWatters
What Simon said.

To solve some systems you have to draw multiple FBDs (typically one per component part). Write equations for each and then solve a set of simultaneous equations.

I found an analysis here..
http://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/trebuchet-physics.html

Note that it contains a lot of diagrams and not all are Free Body Diagrams. Typically they have "schematics" showing a few parts and how they are interconnected (definitions of angles etc) then they draw a "free body diagram" for the just the part they are analysing.

CWatters said:
What Simon said.

To solve some systems you have to draw multiple FBDs (typically one per component part). Write equations for each and then solve a set of simultaneous equations.

I found an analysis here..
http://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/trebuchet-physics.html

Note that it contains a lot of diagrams and not all are Free Body Diagrams. Typically they have "schematics" showing a few parts and how they are interconnected (definitions of angles etc) then they draw a "free body diagram" for the just the part they are analysing.

That to me is very hard to understand... Do you or anyone else know the basic forces that act on a trebuchet and in which direction in the system? i.e. force of gravity, force of friction, force of air resistance etc. I just need a simplistic (but not too simplistic) version to show to my class for a presentation.

Physics Student 1 said:
That to me is very hard to understand... Do you or anyone else know the basic forces that act on a trebuchet and in which direction in the system? i.e. force of gravity, force of friction, force of air resistance etc. I just need a simplistic (but not too simplistic) version to show to my class for a presentation.
Since this is for your schoolwork project, how about you show some effort and make some sketches showing how a trebuchet works?

berkeman said:
Since this is for your schoolwork project, how about you show some effort and make some sketches showing how a trebuchet works?

The teacher encouraged that we go to forums for help. I did attempt at free body diagrams for the trebuchet and every time I tried my teacher said I was wrong. He also said it was very complicated, past my grade level. His words were that the internet is a valuable resource and I should use it to find and learn about the free body diagram of a trebuchet. I just simply wanted to see one I could understand and explain to my class.

Physics Student 1 said:
The teacher encouraged that we go to forums for help. I did attempt at free body diagrams for the trebuchet and every time I tried my teacher said I was wrong. He also said it was very complicated, past my grade level. His words were that the internet is a valuable resource and I should use it to find and learn about the free body diagram of a trebuchet. I just simply wanted to see one I could understand and explain to my class.
Whelp, here at the PF, we help students learn how to learn. Maybe let your instructor hear that phrase -- might be good for them to think about it some.

So please show us all of your work. We cannot spoonfeed you solutions to your homeowrk. As long as we see a lot of effort on your part, we are happy to offer hints and tips and ask probing questions to help you figure out your homework.

Please post your work, or this thread will be closed. Thank you.

Physics Student 1 said:

If the link I posted above is too difficult for you can I suggest you look at a Catapult or Mangonel that doesn't have a sling? or start by explaining a Catapult and then conclude by pointing out that a trebuchet is more complicated because it has a sling for which another FBD is needed.

Related to What would the Free Body Diagram of a Trebuchet look like?

1. What is a Free Body Diagram?

A Free Body Diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all the external forces acting on the object and their direction, without including any internal forces.

2. What is a Trebuchet?

A trebuchet is a medieval siege weapon that was used to launch large projectiles, such as rocks or fireballs, at enemy fortifications. It works by using a counterweight to provide the necessary force to launch the projectile.

3. What are the forces acting on a Trebuchet?

The forces acting on a Trebuchet include the weight of the counterweight, the tension in the sling, the force of friction, and the force of air resistance. The direction of these forces can vary depending on the position of the trebuchet and the projectile being launched.

4. How would the Free Body Diagram of a Trebuchet look like?

The Free Body Diagram of a Trebuchet would show the weight of the counterweight acting downward, the tension in the sling acting upward, the force of friction acting in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, and the force of air resistance acting opposite to the projectile's motion. The diagram would also include the pivot point of the trebuchet and the projectile being launched.

5. Why is it important to understand the Free Body Diagram of a Trebuchet?

Understanding the Free Body Diagram of a Trebuchet is important for analyzing the forces involved in its operation. This can help in designing and optimizing the trebuchet for maximum efficiency and accuracy. It also allows for a better understanding of the physics principles behind the trebuchet's operation.