What would you like for Christmas this year?

In summary: Alexa -- "Yes?"Bill -- "Can you open the garage door please?"Alexa -- "Yes, I can."In summary, Bill's son gave him a computer that is supposed to help him with his disability, but it is still not working and he is afraid it might kill him.
StevieTNZ
For me, this song sums it up quite nicely:

What do you hope for Christmas this year?

Physics news on Phys.org
My watches are worn out (batteries ready to die and bands broken). Time for a new watch for my medic shifts ...

1606698215258.png

Likes StevieTNZ
StevieTNZ said:
Access Denied
Link works okay for me...

What do you hope for Christmas this year?
(1) A Keysight MSO. Do I have to pay the shipping or is that included?
(2) A saner gf than the last one.
There's more, but I don't think I should be greedy.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
I'd like peace on Earth, no global warming and a cure for cancer.
But first: give me faster WiFi. :smile:

Wifi.jpg

Likes Ibix
It’s be nice for him to magically replace the (apparently) leaky motor that blew up in my car this afternoon while I’m sleeping tonight. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

What would you like for Christmas this year?
New pair of lungs to replace the old pair I have now that are rife with heavy COPD.

phinds said:
New pair of lungs to replace the old pair I have now that are rife with heavy COPD.

Aww, stay safe right now!

Fervent Freyja said:
Aww, stay safe right now!
Oh, I've been hunkered down since early this year. The folks at Walmart do my food shopping for me and the only other place I go besides the back lot of Walmart to pick it up is to the occasional doctors appointment. It's getting BORING ! My wife still goes to the store once a week and my fear is that she'll get it and give it to me despite my precautions. If she does and it kills me, I'm going to be really annoyed.

phinds said:
Oh, I've been hunkered down since early this year. The folks at Walmart do my food shopping for me and the only other place I go besides the back lot of Walmart to pick it up is to the occasional doctors appointment. It's getting BORING ! My wife still goes to the store once a week and my fear is that she'll get it and give it to me despite my precautions. If she does and it kills me, I'm going to be really annoyed.

I’m glad that you are still quarantining! So many of those at high risk aren’t!

Some at-home 24 hour PCR tests are pending approval and being approved for use right now (you swab at home and mail it to the lab)- that might be something to look at for preventing from having to get out if you guys need to test!

You can still escape to nature! Bundle up and take a long walk! Exercise those lungs so you can be ripe for fussing!

What ever happened to

Adequate supplies of well tested and effective vaccines against Covid-19.

Likes BillTre, phinds and berkeman
I was surprised this Xmas when I got a Heuristically Programmed Algorithmic (HAL) computer "eyeball" (or maybe visual input unit (VIU)) from my son.

IMG_0278.JPG

Yet to be assembled, so I don't know if it wants to kill me yet.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
Just don't go outside without a helmet. :wink:

• Haha
Likes DennisN, berkeman and BillTre
Bill -- "Hal, open the garage door please."

HAL -- "I'm sorry Bill, I can't do that..."

Bill -- "Alexa!"

• Haha
Likes DennisN, BillTre and phinds

1. What are the hottest tech gadgets on your Christmas list this year?

As a scientist, I am always interested in the latest advancements in technology. Some of the hottest tech gadgets on my Christmas list this year include a smart watch, a virtual reality headset, and a high-quality digital camera.

2. Are there any scientific tools or equipment that you need for your research that you would like as a Christmas gift?

Yes, there are definitely some scientific tools and equipment that would make great Christmas gifts for me. Some examples include a new microscope, a high-powered telescope, and a set of precision measuring instruments.

3. Do you prefer practical or fun gifts as a scientist?

As a scientist, I am always looking for ways to improve my research and experiments, so practical gifts that can aid in my work are always appreciated. However, I also enjoy fun gifts that allow me to relax and take a break from my work.

4. Do you have any specific books or publications on your Christmas wishlist?

Absolutely! As a scientist, I am constantly learning and staying up-to-date on the latest research and discoveries. Some books and publications that I would love to receive as gifts include science textbooks, scientific journals, and popular science books.

5. Is there anything science-related that you would like to learn or try as a Christmas gift?

Yes, there are many science-related activities or experiences that I would love to try as a Christmas gift. This could include attending a scientific conference, enrolling in a new course or workshop, or even visiting a science museum or exhibit.