What's the hype about Bitcoin?

• News
  • Thread starter ImaLooser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bitcoin
In summary: The system is cleverly set up to entice joiners by giving easy profits at the beginning, just like gold. Every four years the number of new coins is halved, so it gets harder and harder over time to "mine" the coins. In the year 2140 that is the end: no more new coins ever. So the coins will tend to appreciate in value. People like that.The thing about bitcoins is that they are decentralized. That means that there is no one central authority that can take them away from you. That's pretty rare. Governments are always looking for ways to take away our money, so that they can control us. So
ImaLooser
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ImaLooser said:
The system is cleverly set up to entice joiners by giving easy profits at the beginning, just like gold. Every four years the number of new coins is halved, so it gets harder and harder over time to "mine" the coins. In the year 2140 that is the end: no more new coins ever. So the coins will tend to appreciate in value. People like that.

OK so on the one hand we have built in deflation

It is quite possible for the currency to split into versions. If the system changes in a way you don't like, you can stick with the old version. No one can force you to use the new stuff. Don't like it? Don't use it.

Our "you know everything about this currency ever" might split into two currencies? What the heck is the deal with that? What if everyone just switches to the new currency and my old bitcoins are worthless? This directly contradicts all the safety stuff you were talking about before

So...it's free, its secure, what's the catch? None, I'd say. The value against the dollar tends to fluctuate wildly. I first I thought that was bad but then realized it's an advantage. One problem with money is that people like to save it, and this complicates things. (Trust me on that one. It's a long story.) So the volatility discourages that. If I were going to use bitcoin I would buy it for an online transaction, then spend it right away. I save 3% over a credit card. Indeed, this is what happening. There are ways to avoid the price fluctuations.

Volatility just means it's not worth saving short term. It's still built into be deflating, so over 20 or 30 years of saving you come out ahead. And it's only volatile against the dollar because the usage is so low - if everyone used bitcoins, there would be no "dollar" to be volatile against, and you sure as heck wouldn't see prices double one night then fall by 70% the next. Honestly anyone who thinks that "bitcoins are worth a lot of money now" is equivalent to "bitcoins are a great alternative to currency!" is kidding themselves. Beanie babies used to wildly fluctuate, with artificial shortages to ensure prices would go up over time, and discontinued lines to force people to join early before missing out on the early versions. So we get that the price of bitcoins is going up for the same reason that the price of beanie babies is going up?

Bitcoins seem like they could be really cool, but I don't really get how a private organization offering fiat currency is better than a government doing it

What is Bitcoin?

Bitcoin is a decentralized digital currency, also known as a cryptocurrency, that operates independently from a central bank or government. It uses a peer-to-peer network to facilitate transactions without the need for intermediaries.

How does Bitcoin work?

Bitcoin works through a technology called blockchain, which is a decentralized ledger that records all transactions made with the currency. Transactions are verified and added to the blockchain by a network of computers, known as nodes, which use complex mathematical algorithms to ensure the integrity of the system.

Is Bitcoin a safe and secure form of currency?

Bitcoin is generally considered to be a safe and secure form of currency, as the blockchain technology it uses makes it difficult to counterfeit or manipulate. However, as with any form of currency, there are risks involved in using and investing in Bitcoin, such as potential hacking and market volatility.

What are the advantages of using Bitcoin?

Some advantages of using Bitcoin include lower transaction fees compared to traditional forms of currency, faster and more efficient international transactions, and the potential for anonymity in certain transactions. Additionally, as a decentralized currency, Bitcoin is not subject to the control of a central authority, making it more resistant to inflation and government interference.

Are there any drawbacks to using Bitcoin?

While there are many potential benefits to using Bitcoin, there are also some drawbacks to consider. These include the potential for price volatility, the lack of widespread acceptance and use of Bitcoin in everyday transactions, and the risk of losing access to your Bitcoin if you forget your private key or if it is stolen.