What's the source of energy for the universe's expasion?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the expansion of the universe and the potential sources and limits for this expansion. The idea of spontaneous generation of space was rejected, and the concept of dark energy as the source for the acceleration of the expansion was mentioned. Personal speculation was deemed off limits and the topic was closed with the statement that the original question had been answered.
lordoftheselands
In case it's true that the universe is expading, what's the fuel for this expasion? I do not admit the idea that it's a case of spontaneous generation of space... so there must be a limit for this expasion. What's the limit for the expansion of the universe?

Space news on Phys.org
The expansion is just leftover motion from the original universe I think you are talking about the ACCELERATION of the expansion. The source for that is what we call "dark energy" and if you figure out what that is, I guarantee you a Nobel prize. There is no limit.

Likes ForTheLoveOfPhysics, vanhees71 and dlgoff
phinds said:
The expansion is just leftover motion from the original universe I think you are talking about the ACCELERATION of the expansion. The source for that is what we call "dark energy" and if you figure out what that is, I guarantee you a Nobel prize. There is no limit.

I think that energy would be demanded to make the universe expand even in constant motion, since I imagine space as something attached as glue to the other parts of space. I imagine that there is a counter-force that makes all parts of space stick together.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy and PeroK
You can imagine anything you like but this is a physics forum, not a personal speculation forum. Please read the rules.

Likes ForTheLoveOfPhysics, vanhees71 and Orodruin
Put in another way, you can imagine anything you like, but the Universe is not under any obligation to work according to your imagination. This is why we do experiments - to figure out what works. Your imagination here does not.

Likes phinds
lordoftheselands said:
I think that energy would be demanded to make the universe expand even in constant motion, since I imagine space as something attached as glue to the other parts of space. I imagine that there is a counter-force that makes all parts of space stick together.
As @phinds has said, all of this is personal speculation, which is off limits here. Your title question has been answered.

Thread closed.

1. What is the source of energy for the universe's expansion?

The source of energy for the universe's expansion is believed to be dark energy, a mysterious force that makes up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. How does dark energy work?

The exact mechanism of how dark energy works is still unknown. Some theories suggest that it could be a property of space itself, causing it to stretch and accelerate the expansion of the universe. Others propose that it could be a new type of energy that has yet to be discovered.

3. Can dark energy be detected?

Currently, there is no way to directly detect dark energy. However, scientists are studying its effects on the expansion of the universe through various observations and experiments. These include measuring the distances and velocities of distant galaxies and observing the cosmic microwave background radiation.

4. How does dark energy relate to dark matter?

Dark energy and dark matter are two different concepts. While dark energy is thought to be a force that causes the universe to expand, dark matter is a type of matter that cannot be seen or detected, but its presence can be inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

5. Could dark energy eventually cause the universe to collapse?

It is currently believed that dark energy will continue to drive the expansion of the universe, rather than causing it to collapse. However, the exact nature of dark energy is still a subject of ongoing research, so it is possible that our understanding of it may change in the future.