When are the solutions for \hat{R} being Hermitian?

In summary, the operator \hat{R} is Hermitian if the eigenstates |m> and |n> are equal, or if one of them is zero. This can be seen by considering the possible solutions for \left|n\right> and \left|m\right>.
Domnu
Let us define [tex]\hat{R} = |\psi_m\rangle \langle \psi_n|[/tex] where [tex]\psi_n[/tex] denotes the [tex]n[/tex]th eigenstate of some Hermitian operator. When is [tex]\hat{R}[/tex] Hermitian?

Solution?
Well, let us just call |psi_m> = |m> and |psi_n> = |n>. Now, we need

|m><n| = |n><m|

If we left multiply by <m| then we find that

<n| = 0

By symmetry, if we left multiply by <n| we find that

<m| = 0

But, clearly, by inspection, we find that R is Hermitian if |m> = |n>. Are these all the solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that you don't automatically find that <n| = 0 or <m| = 0 when you operate with the other operator. You have to include the possibility that n = m first. So really what you get is

[tex]\left|n\right> = \delta_{n,m}\left|m\right>[/tex]

and

[tex]\left|m\right> = \delta_{n,m}\left|n\right>[/tex]

as [itex]\left<m\right|\left.n\right> = \delta_{n,m}[/itex] - so really the solution you found 'by inspection' was actually already considered. I just wanted to make sure you remembered this so that it doesn't slip by you in the future.

As for whether or not that's all the solutions, I don't see anything wrong with it. Even if you consider [itex]\left|n\right> \propto \left|m\right> + \left|l\right>[/itex], for some state [itex]l \neq m[/itex], you would end up with either |l> = 0 or |l> = |m>. So unless I too have missed something I'd say those are your only solutions. (I guess you could consider |n> = |m> = 0 explicity).

Last edited:

Related to When are the solutions for \hat{R} being Hermitian?

What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator, also known as a self-adjoint operator, is a linear operator in a complex vector space that is equal to its own adjoint. In other words, the operator is equal to its conjugate transpose.

Why are Hermitian operators important?

Hermitian operators have several important properties, including the fact that their eigenvalues are always real and their eigenvectors are orthogonal. This makes them useful in quantum mechanics, where they represent observable quantities and play a crucial role in the mathematical formulation of the theory.

How do you determine if an operator is Hermitian?

To determine if an operator is Hermitian, you can check if it is equal to its own adjoint. This can be done by taking the complex conjugate of the operator and then transposing it. If the resulting operator is equal to the original operator, then it is Hermitian.

What is the significance of the Hermitian adjoint?

The Hermitian adjoint, also known as the adjoint operator, is used to represent the dual space of a given vector space. In quantum mechanics, the Hermitian adjoint plays a crucial role in the Dirac notation, where it is used to represent the conjugate transpose of a vector or operator.

What are some examples of Hermitian operators?

Some examples of Hermitian operators include the position and momentum operators in quantum mechanics, as well as the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of a system. In linear algebra, Hermitian matrices are also considered to be Hermitian operators.