When does the ideal gas equation break down?

In summary, the conversation discusses the ideal gas equation and its limitations at high pressures and low temperatures. The Van der Waals equation is suggested as an alternative, with its constants providing information on deviations from the ideal gas law. The concept of reduced pressure and temperature is also introduced. It is noted that the Law of Corresponding States applies to all substances and the compressibility factor generally remains consistent. The conversation ends with a discussion on how the deviation from the ideal gas law may come into play at high pressures.
LT Judd
TL;DR Summary
At what pressures and temperatures is ideal gas equation no longer valid?
P1/V1/T1 = P2 V2 /T2 is derived from the ideal gas equation. However it is stated that this equation breaks down at very high pressures and at very low temperatures. Does anyone know what kind of pressures and temperatures we are talking about here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on how accurate you want it. If you need ppm accuracy it breaks down a lot sooner than if you need percent accuracy.

Likes Charles Link
I suggest you study the Van der Waals equation. It reduces to the ideal gas equation at low pressures and densities, and the two constants in the equation (usually called a and b) will give you information on how much it deviates from the ideal gas equation.

Likes berkeman, etotheipi and Vanadium 50
1596075994760.png

This graph shows the compressibility factor z for a gas as a function of the reduced temperature and the reduced pressure. The reduced temperature is the actual temperature divided by the critical temperature. The reduced pressure is the actual pressure divided by the critical pressure. Deviations of z from 1.0 represent deviations from the ideal gas law.

Okay, I am just trying to get a gut feel for it, I can see from the above graph that the smaller molecules (N2) do better than the larger molecules (isopentane) ,but not sure about the "reduced pressure" though, at z greater than one ( actual pressure is higher than critical pressure), they wouldn't be gases anyhow would they?. they would be liquids.
Anyhow I did some rough calcs on a 200 bar "quad" of G size cylinders of nitrogen , from some vendors spec sheet. The quoted free volume is about 10% greater than my theory. (P1/V1=P2/V2)
http://aloffshore.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Product-Datasheet-Offshore-Q64.pdf
Just wondering if at 200 bar could the deviation from the ideal gas law be coming into play.

Attachments

• N2.jpg
    N2.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 151
LT Judd said:
Okay, I am just trying to get a gut feel for it, I can see from the above graph that the smaller molecules (N2) do better than the larger molecules (isopentane) ,but not sure about the "reduced pressure" though, at z greater than one ( actual pressure is higher than critical pressure), they wouldn't be gases anyhow would they?. they would be liquids.
According to the Law of Corresponding States, this graph is supposed to apply roughly roughly equally the same for all substances, so there should be no major differences between the compressibility factors for N2 and isopentane.
Anyhow I did some rough calcs on a 200 bar "quad" of G size cylinders of nitrogen , from some vendors spec sheet. The quoted free volume is about 10% greater than my theory. (P1/V1=P2/V2)
http://aloffshore.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Product-Datasheet-Offshore-Q64.pdf
Just wondering if at 200 bar could the deviation from the ideal gas law be coming into play.
The critical pressure of N2 is 34 bars, and its critical temperature is 126 K. So, at room temperature and 200 bars, the reduced pressure of N2 is 5.9 and its reduced temperature is 2.3. Here is a more detailed compressibility plot:
1596372939239.png

From this graph, you can see that at these conditions, the compressibility factor would be about 1.08. This would be consistent with you vendor information.

1. What is the ideal gas equation?

The ideal gas equation, also known as the ideal gas law, is a mathematical relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is represented by the formula PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. When does the ideal gas equation apply?

The ideal gas equation applies to ideal gases, which are gases that have no intermolecular forces and occupy negligible volume. This means that the gas particles do not interact with each other and the volume they occupy is much smaller compared to the volume of the container they are in.

3. When does the ideal gas equation break down?

The ideal gas equation breaks down when the gas deviates from ideal behavior, such as at high pressures or low temperatures. This is because the gas particles start to interact with each other and the volume they occupy becomes significant compared to the container volume.

4. How does the ideal gas equation break down at high pressures?

At high pressures, the ideal gas equation breaks down because the gas particles are forced closer together and start to interact with each other. This results in a decrease in the volume of the gas, leading to a deviation from ideal behavior.

5. How does the ideal gas equation break down at low temperatures?

At low temperatures, the ideal gas equation breaks down because the gas particles have less kinetic energy and move slower. This makes it more likely for them to interact with each other and occupy a larger volume, causing a deviation from ideal behavior.