When scientists use a log graph, do they actually convert x/y w/ log?

In summary: Great summary! Thanks!In summary, when you graph in linear scale, x and y go from 0-10, 100-1000, and 1000-10,000. But when you graph in logarithmic scale, x and y go from 0-1, 10-100, 100-1000, 1000-10,000.
hongiddong

Homework Statement

For example, a linear plot would with x and y values would just plot normally where x and y increases linearly from 0 to infinity.

When we use a log graph, do we just plug in x and y to a graph in which the x and y go from 0, 10, 100, 1000, or do we convert the numbers such as log(x) = new y and then plug it into a graph that goes from 0, 10, 100, 1000?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what your question is. I know it used to be possible, and still may be, to get "semi-log" or "log-log" graph paper. The latter has both axes labeled such that the point labeled "2" is actually at distance "log(2)" from the origin (which is labeled "1"). The "semi-log" paper has one axis like that, the other a regular linear numbering. If you are using such paper, you mark them as they are labeled.

Likes 1 person
hongiddong said:

Homework Statement

For example, a linear plot would with x and y values would just plot normally where x and y increases linearly from 0 to infinity.

When we use a log graph, do we just plug in x and y to a graph in which the x and y go from 0, 10, 100, 1000, or do we convert the numbers such as log(x) = new y and then plug it into a graph that goes from 0, 10, 100, 1000?

We do not convert the numbers to log(x) = new value.
We plot directly the initial values x without taking a log. The idea is that the scales on the graph paper are distorted in such a way that the log will be taken into account graphically.

The second option is to use *ordinary* graph paper and plot on it the calculated log values of the x.

Likes 1 person
Thank you! I understand it now!

In the "good ol' times" when you would draw graphs by hand, you would typically have log-log paper with preprinted logarithmic scales. This would make it easy to draw your points in the correct places without having to compute the log. Nowadays most people would simply let a computer draw the graphs for them and it no longer matters much. I have seen examples in scientific papers of people plotting in log scale with logarithmic scales, in which case the values on the scales would not be converted, and of people plotting log10(x) in a linear scale (in which case this would be clearly stated). As long as you are clear about what is being plotted, there should be no possibility for misunderstanding.

HallsofIvy said:
I'm not sure what your question is. I know it used to be possible, and still may be, to get "semi-log" or "log-log" graph paper. The latter has both axes labeled such that the point labeled "2" is actually at distance "log(2)" from the origin (which is labeled "1"). The "semi-log" paper has one axis like that, the other a regular linear numbering. If you are using such paper, you mark them as they are labeled.

Probably most office supply stores would not carry log-log or semilog paper anymore, but university stationers might---I haven't checked. If not, there are numerous websites that have such paper downloadable and/or printable.

All the graphics packages, like excel and kaleidagraph, allow you to change the scale to logarithmic automatically, so you just plot x vs y, and then, from a drop down menu, switch to logarithmic scales with a click of your mouse.

Chet

Nowadays, there are sites with semilog and log-log paper as a jpeg which you can download and print off. FREE! :smile:
You get to choose how many cycles you need.

EDIT. So now I look back and see Ray Vickson already said as much.

1. Why do scientists use log graphs?

Scientists use log graphs to represent data that covers a wide range of values. This allows for easier visualization and comparison of data points that may have a significant difference in magnitude.

2. What is the difference between a log graph and a linear graph?

A log graph uses a logarithmic scale on one or both axes, while a linear graph uses a linear scale. This means that the distance between each data point on a log graph is not equal, but rather increases exponentially as the scale increases.

3. How do scientists convert x/y with log for a log graph?

To convert x/y values to be used on a log graph, scientists take the logarithm of each value. This can be done using a calculator or by hand. For example, if the x-value is 100, the log of 100 is 2, so the x-value on the log graph would be placed at 2 on the x-axis.

4. Can any type of data be represented on a log graph?

While log graphs are useful for representing a wide range of data, they are most commonly used for data that follows an exponential or power-law relationship. This includes data related to population growth, earthquakes, and biological processes.

5. Are there any limitations to using log graphs?

One limitation of using log graphs is that it may be more challenging to interpret data for individuals who are not familiar with logarithmic scales. Additionally, log graphs may not be appropriate for data that does not follow an exponential relationship, as it can distort the data and make it appear more significant than it actually is.