When the Lagrangians are equals?

• Thread starter rmadsanmartin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangians
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in classical mechanics about finding the ratio of times for particles with different masses but the same potential energy traveling on the same path. The solution is t'/t=sqrt(m'/m) and the discussion also touches on the concept of Lagrangian. It is suggested to transform the Lagrangian for the particle with a different mass into the same Lagrangian for the particle with a different mass by rescaling the time parameter.
rmadsanmartin
I’m not very good with english, it isn’t my native language..., but I’m going to explain my question...

I’m reading the first book of Landau's series ,it’s about clasical mechanics.
In the second chapter you can find a problem about the conservation's theorem

Homework Statement

the problem says The first problem says:

Find the ratio of the times in the same path for particles having different masses but the same potential energy.

the solution is: t'/t=sqrt(m'/m)

Homework Equations

---------------

The Attempt at a Solution

My tentative solution is supposing that the lagrangian for both paths are the same...

then:

L'=L

1/2m'v'2-U=1/2mv2-U

Finally:

t'/t=sqrt(m'/m)

BUT, It’s that correct?

and why the lagrangians are the same? I’m not sure about the real concept (or meaning) of the lagrangian of a system...

thanks...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the section of Landau (about particles and potential energy assuming U is a homogeneous function)

Attachments

• landau.jpg
    landau.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 459
Hello.

In the statement of the problem, the potential energy is not assumed to be a homogeneous function of the coordinates. So, I don't think that the material on the page that you attached is directly relevant to this problem.

rmadsanmartin said:
My tentative solution is supposing that the lagrangian for both paths are the same...

The Lagrangians for m and m' are not the same when using the same time parameter in both Lagrangians (because of the difference in mass). Using the assumption that the potential energy is the same for both masses, see if you can transform the Lagrangian for m' into the Lagrangian for m by re-scaling the time for the m' system. [EDIT: This might be what you did essentially. I'm not sure.]

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of the Lagrangian being equal in equations?

The Lagrangian is a fundamental quantity in physics that describes the dynamics of a system. When two Lagrangians are equal, it means that both systems have the same equations of motion and therefore have the same physical behavior.

2. How do you determine if the Lagrangians are equal?

To determine if two Lagrangians are equal, you must first write out the equations of motion for both systems. Then, you can compare the equations and see if they are identical. If they are, then the Lagrangians are equal.

3. Can two systems with different Lagrangians have the same physical behavior?

Yes, it is possible for two systems with different Lagrangians to have the same physical behavior. This is because there can be different ways to describe the same physical phenomenon using different Lagrangians.

4. What implications does the equality of Lagrangians have in physics?

The equality of Lagrangians has important implications in physics, as it allows for the use of symmetries to simplify equations and make predictions about a system's behavior. It also allows for the study of different systems by finding similarities in their Lagrangians.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of equal Lagrangians in physics?

While the equality of Lagrangians is a powerful tool in physics, there are limitations to its use. For example, it may not apply to systems with complex interactions or those that involve quantum mechanics. Additionally, there may be cases where two systems have equal Lagrangians but behave differently due to external factors.