What Should You Do When Stuck on a Physics Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of seeking help in solving physics or math related homework problems. While it may be beneficial to try and work through problems independently, sometimes external resources or hints from others can be helpful in finding a solution. Ultimately, the goal is to develop problem solving skills, but it is important to strike a balance between seeking help and trying to solve the problem on one's own.
Kinermatics
I apologize if this is in the wrong sections. But you guys seem to know your stuff when it comes to physics and math. My question is, when you are doing physics or math related homework and you've stumbled upon a problem you can't seem to figure out... what do you do? My problem is that I want to try to grind through a problem without any help from external resources. But at the same time I can't spend to much time trying to figure it out. What would you guys recommend? I've read that the more you try to work through a problem without any help, the better your problem solving skills. Unfortunately there are times (you know what I mean) when you can't seem to get a problem no matter what...and when you finally give up and look at the answer and see how to do the problem you always can't help but think "I wouldn't have figured that out myself". I'm all ears

Physics news on Phys.org
Coming up with an answer yourself does develop your skills far better than reading somebody else's solution, but you won't be learning anything if you can't solve it.
One thing you can do though is post your question and ask that you be given just small hints or pushes here and there, a compromise between just looking up the answer and struggling through a problem you might not be able to solve.

Related to What Should You Do When Stuck on a Physics Problem?

1. Why can't I figure out this physics problem?

There could be several reasons why you are struggling to solve a physics problem. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the underlying concepts, not having enough information, or not applying the correct equations or formulas.

2. How do I approach a difficult physics problem?

When facing a challenging physics problem, it's essential to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Identify what information you have and what is missing. Then, try to relate the given information to the concepts and equations you know. Finally, work through the problem systematically, step by step.

3. What resources can I use to help solve a physics problem?

There are several resources available to assist you in solving a physics problem. You can consult your textbook, class notes, or a reliable online source. You can also seek help from your teacher, classmates, or a tutor. It's crucial to use multiple resources to gain a better understanding of the problem.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it's essential to practice regularly. Work on a variety of problems, including ones that challenge you. Also, make sure to review and understand the underlying concepts and equations. Finally, don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. With patience and persistence, your problem-solving skills will improve over time.

5. Can I use a calculator or equations sheet to solve a physics problem?

It depends on the problem and the guidelines provided. In some cases, you may be allowed to use a calculator or a list of equations. However, it's crucial to understand the concepts behind the equations and use them appropriately. Relying solely on a calculator or equations sheet may hinder your understanding and problem-solving abilities in the long run.