Where can i find a legend of all of the symbols used in phys

• B
  • Thread starter t906
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of understanding the meaning of symbols in physics equations. The speaker suggests referring to textbooks for the author's specific notation, as there is no standard convention for all symbols. They mention examples such as "V" and "U" for potential energy, and "W" and "φ" for work function.
t906
i can follow the equations but i don't know what the symbols mean

for quantum and astro would be best

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean something like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_physical_quantities
or mathematical symbols? Since physics is bigger than our various alphabets, it might well be that different authors use different forms of notation. Usually their usage can be found at the end or the beginning of textbooks. There are several conventions, some depend on the context. You will naturally adopt them when you study physics.

t906 said:
i can follow the equations but i don't know what the symbols mean

for quantum and astro would be best

If you look one in one book, they used "V" for potential energy, but in another, they used "U" for potential energy. I often see "W" as work function, while another use φ.

You have a faulty idea that there is an unambiguous, universal agreement for something like this. There isn't!

Zz.

Related to Where can i find a legend of all of the symbols used in phys

1. Where can I find a legend of all the symbols used in physics?

You can find a legend of all the symbols used in physics in most physics textbooks or on reputable online resources such as the American Institute of Physics website.

2. Is there a specific website or database that lists all the symbols used in physics?

Yes, there are several websites and databases that list all the symbols used in physics. Some popular ones include the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) website and the Wolfram Alpha database.

3. Are the symbols used in physics the same across all textbooks and resources?

No, there may be slight variations in symbols used in different textbooks and resources. It is important to check the legend or key provided in the specific resource you are using to ensure accuracy.

4. Are there any symbols that are commonly confused or misinterpreted in physics?

Yes, there are some symbols that are commonly confused in physics, such as the symbols for power and pressure. It is important to double check the meaning and units for each symbol to avoid confusion.

5. Can I create my own symbols in physics?

Technically, you can create your own symbols in physics, but it is not recommended. It is important to use standard symbols that have been established and recognized in the scientific community to avoid confusion and promote consistency.