Where Can I Find a Math Search Engine or Equation Identification Tool?

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
In summary, it is difficult to find a good way to search for maths expressions online, but Google is usually able to help.
ognik
Is there a maths search engine? If not, I wish there was...

Does anyone know any good way to search for maths expressions online, be it in Latex/mathtype or text?

Are there, alternatively, websites where you can at least get some form of identification of an equation so that you can use those terms to search on? (Ex: the solution to an integral eqtn turns out to be a Beta function; I would have liked to input the eqtn somewhere and have it identify that I should look at beta functions for it's solution)

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Is there a maths search engine? If not, I wish there was...

Does anyone know any good way to search for maths expressions online, be it in Latex/mathtype or text?

Are there, alternatively, websites where you can at least get some form of identification of an equation so that you can use those terms to search on? (Ex: the solution to an integral eqtn turns out to be a Beta function; I would have liked to input the eqtn somewhere and have it identify that I should look at beta functions for it's solution)

It is annoying that there isn't a "maths search engine" as you say, but most of the time if you type an equation or some information about it into Google, it gets the idea and gives you what you want :)

Prove It said:
It is annoying that there isn't a "maths search engine" as you say, but most of the time if you type an equation or some information about it into Google, it gets the idea and gives you what you want :)
Not that consistently I find, and often many results but none close enough to be useful...

Incidentally, is there a .tex viewer - often I get a bunch of .tex files; I have winedt but would prefer to just quick-view rather than open in winedt...

What are the different methods for searching for equations?

There are several methods for searching for equations, including using mathematical databases, search engines, and specialized equation search engines. You can also search through textbooks, research papers, and online forums for equations related to your field of study.

How can I effectively search for equations in a specific field of study?

To effectively search for equations in a specific field, it is helpful to use keywords and phrases related to that field. You can also use advanced search techniques, such as Boolean operators and quotation marks, to refine your search results. Additionally, it may be beneficial to consult with a subject expert or reference librarian for assistance in finding relevant equations.

Are there any resources specifically for searching for equations in physics?

Yes, there are several online resources specifically for searching for equations in physics, such as the American Institute of Physics' Scitation database and the American Physical Society's Physics search engine. These resources allow you to search for equations by keyword, author, journal, and other criteria.

How do I know if an equation is accurate and reliable?

To determine the accuracy and reliability of an equation, it is important to check the source it came from. If the equation is published in a reputable peer-reviewed journal or textbook, it is likely to be accurate. You can also consult with other experts in the field to confirm the validity of the equation.

Can I use equations found through a search engine in my research or projects?

Yes, you can use equations found through a search engine in your research or projects as long as you properly cite the source. It is important to give credit to the original author or source of the equation to avoid plagiarism. Additionally, make sure to check the usage rights of the equation, as some may require permission for commercial use.