Where Can I Find a Step-Up Adapter for 12V to 400V Charging?

In summary: Um, what is the application? What is your experience so far in working with high voltages? What other projects have you built?I've tried building a boost converter before in vein as for a project like this with such a massive step up a transformer design is needed.There won't be any charge drawn from the capacitor when it's being charged.The capacitor might be charged at, say, 100mA average for 30 minutes. To do this you need to have a series resistor of say 400/100 = 4k.A supply giving 400V at 100mA can be made and was used for mobile transmitters in the tube era. A big transformer is needed, around 2kg perhaps, and
Yrton
Good day.
I'm looking for designing/purchasing a step up adapter with the capability of stepping up a 12v battery source (like a car battery) to 400v for the purpose of charging a 1800uf, 450v, capacitors to 400v.
Can you point me to the right direction?
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Yrton. :welcome:

Will there be any charge drawn from the capacitor while it is connected to the 400v?

You do realize that 1800 uf charged to 450 volts contains 182.5 joules, about same energy as six firecrackers? It could really maim a hand.

Keep this contraption well away from tiny fingers .

old jim

Likes dlgoff, russ_watters and Bystander
Xenon Strobe Lamps (or Stroboscopes) used in photography do that to charge a capacitor to fire the lamp. There is often a small version (lower input voltage) built into throw-away film cameras. Also larger ones are used as stand-alone photoflash lights or stroboscopes ('strobes'). Try asking around at some local camera stores. Smartphones use an LED for lighting, so would not have such a step-up power supply.

[Digression]
Decades ago there were 535V batteries available to supply the high voltage for strobes. They were pricey and I doubt they are still available. I remember getting one of those batteries as a hand-me-down from a photographer. I could lay a finger across the terminals, not quite touching the second terminal, and drawing a sustained arc. Could hardly feel it due to the low current but really freaked out the unknowing!
[End Digression]

Likes jim hardy
Thank you for the replies folks.
I've tried building a boost converter before in vein as for a project like this with such a massive step up a transformer design is needed.
There won't be any charge drawn from the capacitor when it's being charged.

Yrton said:
Thank you for the replies folks.
I've tried building a boost converter before in vein as for a project like this with such a massive step up a transformer design is needed.
The capacitor might be charged at, say, 100mA average for 30 minutes. To do this you need to have a series resistor of say 400/100 = 4k.
A supply giving 400V at 100mA can be made and was used for mobile transmitters in the tube era. A big transformer is needed, around 2kg perhaps, and a simple cross connected transistor oscillator on the centre tapped primary. Clean oscillation obtains if just series base resistors are used, chosen to give the correct static bias.
May I emphasise the safety issues to you.

Found this on eBay. Upon asking "multiple" sellers (Side note; and finding out that most of them are the same one), I was told that they don't know. If anyone had any experience with this, maybe someone does: https://m.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-5V-12V-Step-up-to-300V-1200V-400V-900v-1000v-Boost-Converter-Power-Module-/152175524315?nav=SEARCH

I had a thought. You can buy AC inverters quite easily, and in the UK they give 230 Volts AC. If you add a rectifier you can get 1.4 x 230 = 322 Volts.
I also calculated the charging time incorrectly, and it is more like 30 seconds than 30 minutes.
If 322 Volts is not enough you can use a voltage doubler circuit.

Yrton said:
a step up adapter with the capability of stepping up a 12v battery source (like a car battery) to 400v for the purpose of charging a 1800uf, 450v, capacitors to 400v.
Yrton said:
Um, what is the application? What is your experience so far in working with high voltages? What other projects have you built?

Likes davenn
Yrton said:
Found this on eBay. Upon asking "multiple" sellers (Side note; and finding out that most of them are the same one), I was told that they don't know. If anyone had any experience with this, maybe someone does: https://m.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-5V-12V-Step-up-to-300V-1200V-400V-900v-1000v-Boost-Converter-Power-Module-/152175524315?nav=SEARCH

It says "Output current: 2 ~ 20mA." Your charging circuit must make sure that it does not draw too much current and trip or damage the converter. But the converter may just limit the current itself. There is not enough information in the Ebay ad to tell. You need to find the spec sheet on the converter.

1. What is a "12 to 400 Volts Adapter"?

A "12 to 400 Volts Adapter" is a device used to convert electrical voltage from 12 volts to 400 volts. It allows electronic devices that require 400 volts to be powered by a 12-volt power source.

2. How does a "12 to 400 Volts Adapter" work?

A "12 to 400 Volts Adapter" works by using a transformer to change the voltage level of the electricity passing through it. It steps up the voltage from 12 volts to 400 volts, allowing the device to receive the required amount of power.

3. What types of devices can use a "12 to 400 Volts Adapter"?

A "12 to 400 Volts Adapter" can be used for a variety of devices, including industrial equipment, high-powered machinery, and some medical equipment. It can also be used for charging electric vehicles that require a higher voltage than a standard household outlet can provide.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a "12 to 400 Volts Adapter"?

Yes, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when using a "12 to 400 Volts Adapter." It is also essential to ensure that the adapter is compatible with the device being powered and that the voltage is within the device's operating range.

5. Can a "12 to 400 Volts Adapter" be used to convert voltage in both directions?

No, a "12 to 400 Volts Adapter" is designed to convert voltage from 12 volts to 400 volts only. It cannot be used to convert voltage from 400 volts to 12 volts.