Where can I find information on S^3?

• Thread starter RicciFlow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary, the conversation discusses resources for understanding the properties of S^3, particularly in relation to quotient spaces. The Hopf fibration and the group structure of S^3 are mentioned, along with a book recommendation for further learning. The conversation also suggests looking at multiplicative subgroups of S^3 or the quaternion skew field for group actions on S^3.
RicciFlow
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some resources that could help me understand interesting properties of S^3 (or S^n really). I am doing a small project for my topology course and in my studies I have found that I lack knowledge about S^3. Are there any good texts or online lecture notes somewhere that cover this topic? In particular I might find certain quotient spaces of S^3 useful. Thus far I have been out of luck both online and at my school library.
Thank you all in advance for any suggestions!

-RF

Physics news on Phys.org
The Hopf fibration of ##S^3## illustrates a lot of important geometry, while also being relevant to certain quotient spaces, like ##S^3/S^1 = S^2## or the Lens spaces ##S^3/(\mathbb{Z}/p)##. That wiki seems to be very detailed, but Nakahara's Geometry, Topology and Physics should also have a review, along with all of the background that is relevant.

On R^4 there is a multiplicative group structure that make R^4 into a skew field Q called the quaternions.

Sitting naturally inside R^4 as the unit sphere, one can check that S^3 is a subgroup for this multiplicative group structure on R^4.

Therefor, S^3 has a natural group structure. This group structure is furthermore compatible with its topology in the sense that the group operations of multiplication and taking inverse are continuous. We say S^3 is a topological group. In fact, S^3 is, aside from S^1, the only sphere admitting a topological group structure!

In looking for group acting on S^3, you may thus look for multiplicative subgroups of S^3, or of Q itself and intersect them with S^3.

fzero said:
The Hopf fibration of ##S^3## illustrates a lot of important geometry, while also being relevant to certain quotient spaces, like ##S^3/S^1 = S^2## or the Lens spaces ##S^3/(\mathbb{Z}/p)##. That wiki seems to be very detailed, but Nakahara's Geometry, Topology and Physics should also have a review, along with all of the background that is relevant.
Excellent! This is precisely the kind of thing I was hoping for! The Hopf Fibration looks very interesting and I believe I will spend some time learning about it now. Also, thanks for the book recommendation, I will check it out soon. Thanks again!

quasar987 said:
On R^4 there is a multiplicative group structure that make R^4 into a skew field Q called the quaternions.

Sitting naturally inside R^4 as the unit sphere, one can check that S^3 is a subgroup for this multiplicative group structure on R^4.

Therefor, S^3 has a natural group structure. This group structure is furthermore compatible with its topology in the sense that the group operations of multiplication and taking inverse are continuous. We say S^3 is a topological group. In fact, S^3 is, aside from S^1, the only sphere admitting a topological group structure!

In looking for group acting on S^3, you may thus look for multiplicative subgroups of S^3, or of Q itself and intersect them with S^3.

Oh! Dang! I feel as though I should have known this since I know of the definition of S^3 in terms of quaternions. Thank you for pointing it out though! I have a feeling this too will be very useful for me. Thanks!

look at the book, "Three Dimensional Geometry and Topology" Voume 1 by William Thurston

Related to Where can I find information on S^3?

What is S^3?

S^3 stands for "Science, Society, and Sustainability." It is a field of study that aims to understand the complex relationships between science, society, and the environment in order to promote sustainable development.

Where can I find information on S^3?

There are many sources where you can find information on S^3. Some good places to start include academic databases, research journals, and government websites.

What are the key concepts of S^3?

The key concepts of S^3 include understanding the interactions between science and society, promoting sustainability, and addressing issues related to social justice and equity. Other important concepts include interdisciplinary collaboration, systems thinking, and ethical considerations.

How is S^3 relevant to real-world issues?

S^3 is highly relevant to real-world issues as it addresses the complex and interconnected challenges facing our society and environment. It provides a framework for understanding and addressing issues such as climate change, resource depletion, and social inequalities.

What are some career opportunities in S^3?

There are various career opportunities in S^3, including research positions, policy-making roles, and advocacy work. Some specific examples include sustainability consultant, environmental scientist, or science policy analyst.