Where Can I Find Reliable Solubility Data for Various Mixtures and Temperatures?

In summary, a solubility database is a collection of data on the solubility of substances in different solvents at different temperatures. It is important for researchers and scientists in various fields as it helps predict and understand substance behavior. A good solubility database should have accurate and reliable data, a user-friendly interface, and regular updates. It can include various types of substances and can be used to predict solubility in new solvents, although there may be some limitations due to different factors that can affect solubility.
Serena
HI,

Do you have any suggestion for a good solubility database? I tried IUPAC-NIST but I can't find the data I need there (water-toluene, water-hexane, water-MEK mixtures at 40°C). I am also looking for the densities of the pure solvents at 40°C.

Thank you

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Serena said:
water-toluene
First approximation? "Not?" Ditto water-hexane. Water-MEK is infinitely miscible.

Dear Bystander,
Thank you fro your answer. I am looking for actual values.

Here a really good book on the topic:

Yalkowsky, Samuel H., Yan He, and Parijat Jain. Handbook of aqueous solubility data. CRC press, 2010.

1. What is a solubility database?

A solubility database is a collection of data on the solubility of various substances in different solvents at different temperatures. It provides information on the maximum amount of a substance that can dissolve in a solvent under specific conditions.

2. Why is a good solubility database important?

A good solubility database is important because it provides valuable information for researchers and scientists in various fields, such as chemistry and pharmaceuticals. It allows them to predict and understand how substances behave in different solvents, which is crucial for designing experiments and developing new products.

3. What makes a solubility database "good"?

A good solubility database should have accurate and reliable data, as well as a user-friendly interface for easy access and searchability. It should also include information on the source of the data and any experimental conditions used. Regular updates and verification of data are also important factors for a good solubility database.

4. What types of substances are typically included in a solubility database?

A solubility database can include a wide range of substances, such as organic and inorganic compounds, salts, gases, and polymers. It may also include information on the solubility of mixtures and solutions.

5. Can a solubility database be used for predicting solubility in new solvents?

Yes, a solubility database can be used to predict the solubility of a substance in a new solvent by looking at similar substances and their solubility data. However, it is important to note that different factors, such as temperature and pressure, can affect solubility, so these predictions may not always be accurate.