Where Can I Find Resources for Studying the Physics of Solar Panels?

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a PhD in solar panels due to their background in chemical engineering, physics, and science/technology. They are interested in studying the connection between solar panels and physics, particularly quantum dots. They have two questions: 1. What books on solar energy should they read? 2. Do you know any material that can help them open their mind to the subject? They have already found the programs they are interested in applying to, but need to write a proposal and are seeking resources to learn more about the physics behind solar energy and the current research questions in the field.
clicia
Hello,
I am considering to do a phD in solar panels, because it seems to connect areas I've been studying for a while. I am almost a chemical Engineer with master in physics and Science/Technology Bachelor.
I'd like to do some on solar panels connected to physics, like quantum dot or something. Since I never worked with that, I have two questions:
1. what books on solar energy should I read?
2. do you know any material that can help me on opening up my mind on the subject?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach will likely be constrained by the available programs. Find the available programs first (given your geographical constraints) and then wok from there. It's not like every school has a solar panel program.

Dr. Courtney said:
Your approach will likely be constrained by the available programs. Find the available programs first (given your geographical constraints) and then wok from there. It's not like every school has a solar panel program.

Thank you very much for you reply Dr. Courtney, but I already did it and I know where I will apply. For founding I need to write my proposal first and then ask for financial found. The thing is that I need to read a lot about the physics behind solar energy and the problems we need to answer as researchers, so I can write the PhD proposal. That's why I asked people which books and material are good.

1. How do solar panels work using physics?

Solar panels work using the principles of photovoltaic cells, which convert sunlight into electricity. When photons from sunlight hit the surface of the solar panel, they knock electrons loose from the atoms in the panel's silicon cells. These freed electrons flow through the panel and create an electrical current, which can then be harnessed for various uses.

2. What is the efficiency of solar panels using physics?

The efficiency of solar panels varies, but on average, most panels have an efficiency rate of around 15-20%. This means that only 15-20% of the sunlight that hits the panel is converted into electricity. However, advancements in technology have led to higher efficiency rates of up to 25% in some newer panels.

3. How does the angle of the sun affect solar panel efficiency?

The angle of the sun does have a significant impact on the efficiency of solar panels. The best angle for solar panels to maximize their efficiency is when they are directly facing the sun, which is typically when the sun is at its highest point in the sky. However, even when the sun is at a lower angle, modern solar panels are designed to still be efficient in capturing sunlight.

4. Can solar panels work in cloudy weather?

Yes, solar panels can still work in cloudy weather, although their efficiency may be reduced. Clouds can block some of the sunlight from reaching the panels, resulting in a lower electricity output. However, modern panels are designed to be efficient even in low-light conditions, so they can still generate electricity on cloudy days.

5. What is the lifespan of solar panels using physics?

The average lifespan of solar panels is around 25-30 years, but they can last even longer with proper maintenance and care. They do not have any moving parts, which means they have fewer opportunities for wear and tear. However, factors such as weather conditions and the quality of installation can also affect the lifespan of solar panels.