Where Did I Go Wrong? Solving Equations with Multiple Variables

• Thread starter ttpp1124
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homemade
In summary, the scalar equation of the plane through (5, −2, 3) and perpendicular to that line of intersection is 𝑥−6𝑦+22𝑧=83.
ttpp1124
Homework Statement
a. Determine an equation of the line of intersection of the planes 4x − 3y − z = 1 and 2x + 4y + z =5.
b. Find the scalar equation for the plane through (5, −2, 3) and perpendicular to that line of intersection.

I solved a, I'm not sure how to attempt b :/
Relevant Equations
n/a
IMG_3647.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ttpp1124 said:
b. Find the scalar equation for the plane through (5, −2, 3) and perpendicular to that line of intersection.
You have an equation of the line of intersection of the two planes. The plane you're looking for in part b is perpendicular to the line of intersection, thus a normal to that plane is parallel to the line you found.
It shouldn't be difficult to find an equation of a plane if you know 1) a point on the plane, and 2) a normal to that plane.
For part a, did you check your work? Any point on the line should be on both planes, and the direction vector of the line should be perpendicular to the normal of the two planes.

Mark44 said:
You have an equation of the line of intersection of the two planes. The plane you're looking for in part b is perpendicular to the line of intersection, thus a normal to that plane is parallel to the line you found.
It shouldn't be difficult to find an equation of a plane if you know 1) a point on the plane, and 2) a normal to that plane.
For part a, did you check your work? Any point on the line should be on both planes, and the direction vector of the line should be perpendicular to the normal of the two planes.
I did check my work for part a, I'm confident in my answer.
Since 𝐍=(1,−6,22)N=(1,−6,22) is a normal to the plane its equation is
𝐍⋅(𝑥,𝑦,𝑧)−(5,−2,3))=0.

ttpp1124 said:
I did check my work for part a, I'm confident in my answer.
Since 𝐍=(1,−6,22)N=(1,−6,22) is a normal to the plane its equation is
𝐍⋅(𝑥,𝑦,𝑧)−(5,−2,3))=0.
But don't leave it in that form, since that problem asks for the scalar equation of the plane. This will be either Ax + By + Cz = D or ##A(x - x_0) + B(y - y_0) + C(z - z_0) = 0##, where ##(x_0, y_0, z_0)## is the known point and <A, B, C> is a normal to the plane.

ttpp1124 said:
1(x-5)-6(y+2)+22(z-3)
That's not an equation.

Mark44 said:
That's not an equation.
can you tell me where I went wrong?

EDIT: 𝑥−6𝑦+22𝑧=83 is my answer.

ttpp1124 said:
can you tell me where I went wrong?

EDIT: 𝑥−6𝑦+22𝑧=83 is my answer.
That's better.

1. What ingredients do I need to make homemade pizza?

To make homemade pizza, you will need flour, yeast, salt, water, olive oil, tomato sauce, cheese, and your choice of toppings such as vegetables, meats, and herbs.

2. Do I need any special equipment to make homemade pizza?

No, you do not need any special equipment. However, a pizza stone or baking sheet can help achieve a crispier crust. A rolling pin and pizza cutter are also helpful but not necessary.

3. How do I make the pizza dough from scratch?

To make the pizza dough, mix flour, yeast, salt, and water in a bowl. Knead the dough for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Let it rise for 1-2 hours, then roll it out into a desired shape.

4. How do I bake the pizza?

Preheat your oven to 450°F (232°C). Place the rolled-out dough on a pizza stone or baking sheet. Add your desired toppings and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.

5. Can I make homemade pizza without using an oven?

Yes, you can make homemade pizza on a stovetop using a cast iron skillet or a grill. Simply heat the skillet or grill and cook the pizza for about 5-7 minutes on each side until the crust is crispy and the cheese is melted.