Where do the electrons go? (in stellar nuclear fusion)

In summary: Summary:: In summary, the Sun's surface is the result of nuclear fusion and the release of cosmic rays.
Thies_Kohl
TL;DR Summary
I have got a question about the function of stars and how nuclear fusion and the release of cosmic rays work in particular.
I have to give a presentation about natural Radiation and I am very happy about it because it includes Astrophysics. I want to explain to my audience how the stars produce cosmic rays. I thought about explaining to them how nuclear fusion and that kind of stuff works but then I realized that I have got a big gap in knowledge. I didn't know what happens to the electrons inside the star because they aren't released like the neutrons and protons. Where do they go? Do they stay inside the star until it explodes`? Are they send out but they just don't reach Earth and other planets? What happens with the electrons? I hope that anyone of you can explain to me how that works.
Sincerely Thies Kohl

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Charged particles move fast, but because of electro-magetism, they just stay around. The sun is a big ball of plasma.

Thies_Kohl said:
Summary:: I have got a question about the function of stars and how nuclear fusion and the release of cosmic rays work in particular.

I have to give a presentation about natural Radiation and I am very happy about it because it includes Astrophysics. I want to explain to my audience how the stars produce cosmic rays. I thought about explaining to them how nuclear fusion and that kind of stuff works but then I realized that I have got a big gap in knowledge. I didn't know what happens to the electrons inside the star because they aren't released like the neutrons and protons. Where do they go? Do they stay inside the star until it explodes`? Are they send out but they just don't reach Earth and other planets? What happens with the electrons? I hope that anyone of you can explain to me how that works.
Sincerely Thies Kohl
Everything fusion-wise stays inside the 'baking pot' of the Sun's core.

What you see on the surface is 'hot stuff' that is at ~6000K or so, and is hot because it is the result of the exothermic fusion process products working their way to the surface, by which time they have thermalised with the solar plasma.

You do not see 'energetic fusion products' at the surface, just hydrogen and the 'fusion products' that have cooled and worked their way to the surface. The Sun is a big lump of plasma with ions and electrons fully dissociated.

If matter leaves the surface of the Sun, it will leave it in a neutral form, either as neutral particles or as a neutral plasma (equal mix of electrons and ions).

This is because of the electric field between them which keeps them held together.

I recommend you look up 'ambipolar diffusion' as your starter on this.

1. Where do the electrons go during stellar nuclear fusion?

During stellar nuclear fusion, electrons are squeezed into the nuclei of atoms, combining with protons to form neutrons. This process is known as electron capture.

2. Why do electrons need to be squeezed into the nuclei during fusion?

In order for nuclear fusion to occur, the repulsive force between positively charged protons in the nucleus must be overcome. By squeezing electrons into the nucleus, this force is reduced, allowing the protons to come closer together and fuse.

3. What happens to the electrons after they are squeezed into the nuclei?

Once the electrons have combined with protons to form neutrons, they are no longer free to move and participate in chemical reactions. This is why elements formed through nuclear fusion, such as helium and carbon, cannot undergo common chemical reactions.

4. How does the movement of electrons affect the energy released during nuclear fusion?

The movement of electrons plays a crucial role in the energy released during nuclear fusion. As the electrons are squeezed into the nuclei, they release energy in the form of gamma rays. This energy is then transferred to the surrounding particles, causing them to move faster and increasing the temperature of the star.

5. Is there a limit to how many electrons can be squeezed into a nucleus during fusion?

Yes, there is a limit to how many electrons can be squeezed into a nucleus. This limit is determined by the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons can occupy the same quantum state. Therefore, as more electrons are squeezed into the nucleus, they must occupy higher energy levels, eventually reaching a point where the nucleus becomes unstable and undergoes radioactive decay.