Where does the current go in this RL circuit?

In summary: And/or, good point Jim (as usual).Interesting, I didn't suspect the answer would become a non-ideal situation. I will look further into this.Much appreciated Berkeman and Jim!What's happening is that the inductor current is charging the parasitic capacitance. If you remove switch 1, the current can't go that way because the switch is now on an abandoned branch. The current will flow into the parasitic capacitance of the circuit.
tomizzo
Hi there,

I'm struggling to wrap my head around a 'should-be-simple' problem involving an RL circuit. Referring to the image I've pasted below, what happens if we were to remove switch 1, and instead created a scenario where switch 2 simply opens? Where would the current go in the inductor?

I know that the current in an inductor can't instantaneously change, however, if switch 2 opens, it is now located on an abandoned branch thus can't allow current to flow...

How is the energy in the inductor is released?

ET93X.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
tomizzo said:
Hi there,

I'm struggling to wrap my head around a 'should-be-simple' problem involving an RL circuit. Referring to the image I've pasted below, what happens if we were to remove switch 1, and instead created a scenario where switch 2 simply opens? Where would the current go in the inductor?

I know that the current in an inductor can't instantaneously change, however, if switch 2 opens, it is now located on an abandoned branch thus can't allow current to flow...

How is the energy in the inductor is released?

ET93X.png
It flows into the parasitic capacitance of the circuit, which is mostly the parasitic capacitance of the inductor. That's what limits the peak transient voltage when you open S2 -- The inductor current charges the parasitic capacitance.

Likes sophiecentaur and jim hardy
Interesting, I didn't suspect the answer would become a non-ideal situation. I will look further into this.

Much appreciated Berkeman and Jim!

Likes jim hardy and berkeman
tomizzo said:
what happens if we were to remove switch 1, and instead created a scenario where switch 2 simply opens? Where would the current go in the inductor?
Considering ideal components, then the current will continue to flow on its path through the battery by jumping across the air gap between the opening switch contacts. This entails a high voltage, but that is available when di/dt is 'rapid'.

As Jim indicated, this reveals itself as sparking/arcing at the switch contacts as they open.

Likes donpacino
ideal components exist only in our mind. So we must "tune" our thought experiments to come as close to reality as we need for the task at hand. We add to our mind's picture other ideal components to bring the circuit closer to reality.

The painless way to remember inductors is with this riddle:
"How high will an ideal inductor push the voltage?
To whatever is necessary to maintain current flow."Ideal inductors can make infinite volts. Ideal switches won't arc.
As your first post correctly suggested, "Something's got to give." Even if it's the insulation .

old jim

@tomizzo Your RL circuit co closely resembles an ignition that i just can't resist...

spark1.jpg
In gearhead jargon S is the points and C the condenser ,
and L is Coil - a tapped inductor with thousands of turns in the top but few in the bottom
R is is sized for a couple amps
C is sized maybe 0.22uf, to give dv/dt around 10 volts per microsecond so the switch contacts will have time to separate a bit before voltage gets high enough to arc there
Tapped coil produces a lot more voltage at its top than across those few turns near bottom
When voltage across C reaches a couple hundred volts voltage at top of the coil is enough to spark the plug.

That's inductance you can feel.

Last edited:
Likes davenn and jim mcnamara
jim hardy said:
Ideal inductors can make infinite volts. Ideal switches won't arc.
I think we must concede that even an ideal mechanical switch may well arc. It comprises two metal contacts, they're ideal, they go from being in perfect contact to no contact in zero time, that's ideal, then they move apart as fast as you care to nominate, to as wide a spacing as you care to nominate. However you may wish to color this in, that value of ##\frac {di}{dt}## will still determinedly arc across the widening gap.

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and an inductor (L). It is used to control the flow of electric current and can be found in many electronic devices.

2. How does an RL circuit work?

An RL circuit works by using the properties of inductors to create a change in current flow. When a voltage is applied to the circuit, the inductor resists the change in current, causing it to increase gradually. As the current flows through the resistor, it creates a voltage drop, which in turn creates a magnetic field in the inductor. This magnetic field then opposes the original change in current, causing it to decrease gradually until it reaches a steady state.

3. Where does the current go in an RL circuit?

The current in an RL circuit flows through both the inductor and the resistor. Initially, the inductor resists the change in current, causing it to gradually increase. After reaching a steady state, the current continues to flow through both components but at a constant rate.

4. How is the current affected by the inductor and resistor in an RL circuit?

The inductor and resistor in an RL circuit work together to control the flow of current. The inductor initially resists the change in current, causing it to increase gradually. The resistor then creates a voltage drop, which limits the current flow and eventually brings it to a steady state. The inductor also stores energy in its magnetic field, which is released when the current decreases, helping to maintain a constant flow of current.

5. How does the current change over time in an RL circuit?

In an RL circuit, the current initially increases as the inductor resists the change in current. As the current reaches a steady state, it remains constant. When the voltage is removed from the circuit, the current gradually decreases as the inductor releases its stored energy. The overall change in current over time is dependent on the values of the inductor and resistor in the circuit.