Where does the equation C=2*sqrt(km) for Critical Damping come from?

In summary: There is a bit of technical mathematics involved, but the key idea is that if the displacement of the pendulum is small (close to the equilibrium position) then the oscillations are damped and the amplitude of the oscillations is very small. If the displacement is larger, then the oscillations are more pronounced and the amplitude of the oscillations is larger.
physics51
Homework Statement
what's the background on this equation, I can't find anything about I, what can you guys tell me about it related to damping, when to use it, how to derive it, what it means, etc.? Anything is useful!! Thank you!!
Relevant Equations
C= 2 sqrt km
Im using this equation to find the damping from a ruler cantilever experiment. Any information about what critical damping really means and how it reflects in a ruler cantilever is also really helpful. Thank you again.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the context I guess that you are discussing a damped spring pendulum with the equation of motion
$$m \ddot{x}=-C \dot{x} - k x.$$
To solve this equation a nice trick is to make the substitution
$$x(t)=\exp(\lambda t) y(t).$$
Plug this into the equation and check that then ##y## fulfills
$$m \ddot{y}+(C+2 \lambda m) \dot{y} + [k+\lambda(C+\lambda m)]y=0.$$
Now make ##\lambda=-C/(2m)## to get rid of the term with ##\dot{y}##. Then the equation of motion for ##y## simplifies to
$$m\ddot{y} + \left (k-\frac{C^2}{4m} \right) y=0.$$
Now discuss what happens for the different values of the expression in the bracket,
$$k-\frac{C^2}{4m}<0, \quad k-\frac{C^2}{4m}=0, \quad k-\frac{C^2}{4m}>0.$$

Likes Delta2
For an ODE with constant coefficients I’d just make the ansatz ##x(t) = A \exp(\lambda t)## and solve the characteristic equation, but any way that works works.

Likes vanhees71
Well, then you've the trouble with exactly the case of critical damping ;-).

Likes Delta2
physics51 said:
what's the background on this equation, I can't find anything about I,
Where did you look? Most college-level introductory physics textbooks will have a discussion of critical damping and will derive this formula.

1. Where did the equation C=2*sqrt(km) originate from?

The equation C=2*sqrt(km) was first derived by the mathematician, engineer, and physicist, Gustav Robert Kirchhoff. He developed this equation as part of his work on the theory of vibrations and resonance in mechanical systems.

2. What does the equation C=2*sqrt(km) represent?

The equation C=2*sqrt(km) represents the critical damping coefficient, which is a measure of the amount of damping in a system. It is used to determine the optimal amount of damping needed to prevent a system from oscillating or vibrating too much.

3. How is the equation C=2*sqrt(km) used in engineering?

The equation C=2*sqrt(km) is commonly used in engineering to design and analyze mechanical systems such as shock absorbers, car suspensions, and buildings. It helps engineers determine the appropriate amount of damping needed to ensure the stability and safety of these systems.

4. Why is the equation C=2*sqrt(km) important in the study of vibrations and resonance?

The equation C=2*sqrt(km) is important in the study of vibrations and resonance because it helps us understand how different levels of damping affect the behavior of a system. It allows us to predict and control the response of a system to external forces, which is crucial in many engineering applications.

5. Can the equation C=2*sqrt(km) be applied to other types of systems?

Yes, the equation C=2*sqrt(km) can be applied to other types of systems, such as electrical circuits and fluid dynamics. In these systems, the critical damping coefficient represents the amount of resistance or friction that is needed to prevent the system from oscillating or vibrating excessively.