Where does the gene for green color come from?

In summary, the gene for green color is located on chromosome 7 in humans and is inherited from both parents. It is capable of mutating and there are other genes that can also contribute to green color. Additionally, the gene for green color can be turned on or off through gene regulation, which can be influenced by various factors.
Vatsal Goyal
I was studying evolution and speciation and an example was given in my textbook. It said that there is a species of red beetles and through variation a green beetle is formed and then is naturally selected as red beetles are easily seen by crows and green are not. My question is where does the gene for green color come from?

For variation to take place, shuffling of genes takes place in sexual reproduction but for which there has to be a gene for green color according to me.

Biology news on Phys.org
Likes BillTre and Vatsal Goyal

1. Where is the gene for green color located?

The gene for green color is located on the chromosome 7 in humans.

2. Is the gene for green color inherited from one parent or both?

The gene for green color is inherited from both parents. Each parent contributes one copy of the gene, resulting in a combination of traits in the offspring.

3. Can the gene for green color mutate?

Yes, the gene for green color can mutate. Mutations can occur spontaneously or be caused by environmental factors, resulting in changes to the DNA sequence of the gene and potentially altering the expression of green color.

4. Are there other genes that contribute to green color?

Yes, there are other genes that can contribute to green color in addition to the main gene responsible for producing green pigment. These genes may affect the intensity or shade of green color in an individual.

5. Can the gene for green color be turned on or off?

The gene for green color can be turned on or off through a process called gene regulation. This can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as hormones, environmental stimuli, and other genes, which can determine whether the gene is expressed or not.