Where Does Thermal Energy Come From in an Inelastic Collision?

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a system and the presence of thermal energy and conservation of momentum. The answer is that in an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is converted to thermal energy, and this explains the presence of thermal energy in the system. The conversation ends with a good luck wish for an upcoming exam.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

whereisthermalenergy.PNG

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I am going through the final exam problem sets right now and just looked at the answer key and wondering where in this system there could be thermal energy? while i was working through the problem i assumed no thermal energy because of the frictionless floor. where in this system is there thermal energy coming from?
also wondering why momentum was not conserved

Attachments

• whereisthermalenergy.PNG
    whereisthermalenergy.PNG
    29.6 KB · Views: 684
Physics news on Phys.org
isukatphysics69 said:
where in this system is there thermal energy coming from?
also wondering why momentum was not conserved
The two nicely fit together: in the inelastic collision (the blcks stick together) some kietic energy is absorbed and thus converted to thermal energy.

Good luck with your exam...

PS lousy picture to read for a helper, but I don't want to upset you at this time ...

Likes isukatphysics69

1. What is thermal energy in a system?

Thermal energy in a system is the total energy of all the particles in that system due to their motion and temperature.

2. How is thermal energy measured?

Thermal energy is measured in Joules (J) using a thermometer or other temperature measuring device.

3. What factors affect the thermal energy of a system?

The thermal energy of a system is affected by the number of particles in the system, their temperature, and the type of particles (i.e. their mass and composition).

4. How does thermal energy transfer within a system?

Thermal energy can transfer within a system through conduction, convection, or radiation. Conduction is the transfer of thermal energy through direct contact, convection is the transfer of thermal energy through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of thermal energy through electromagnetic waves.

5. What is the relationship between thermal energy and temperature?

Thermal energy and temperature are directly proportional. As the thermal energy of a system increases, so does its temperature. However, the temperature also depends on the number of particles in the system and their type, not just the amount of thermal energy.