Where in the world can i purchase a A ram air turbine Rat_

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a ram air turbine as a wind turbine generator on an RV trailer while driving. It is suggested that using a regular wind turbine may not be effective due to high speeds and turbulence. The option of directly mounting an alternator to the engine is also mentioned as a more efficient solution. The conversation ends with the individual's disappointment after finding a ram air turbine on eBay but the seller backing out after payment.
georgesantos
where in the world can i purchase a A ram air turbine Rat.._ i want to mount it on the roof of my rv trailer build. and use it as a wind turbine generator as i drive down the road, to recharge my batteries.. i heard you really can't use a regular wind turbine or can you..?? or will it just shut down at those speeds and turbulence.. i found one, on ebay but the seller backed out on me, after i paid...

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This does not directly answer your question, I don't think that is a good approach all. Getting the power from the motor/wheel connection is way more effective.
The regular commercial wind turbines are way too large, they won't fit on your car anyway.

It will add drag, which will cause you to use more fuel. It would be more efficient to just directly mount an alternator to the engine.

georgesantos said:
where in the world can i purchase a A ram air turbine Rat.._ i want to mount it on the roof of my rv trailer build. and use it as a wind turbine generator as i drive down the road, to recharge my batteries.. i heard you really can't use a regular wind turbine or can you..?? or will it just shut down at those speeds and turbulence.. i found one, on ebay but the seller backed out on me, after i paid...

Recharge which batteries? Just get power from your RV power outlet to recharge any batteries.

1. Where can I purchase a ram air turbine (RAT)?

A RAM air turbine (RAT) can be purchased from various aviation and aerospace companies, such as Honeywell, Collins Aerospace, and UTC Aerospace Systems. It can also be purchased from online retailers such as Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co. and Summit Aviation.

2. Can I purchase a RAT from a non-aviation company?

No, a RAM air turbine is a specialized piece of equipment that is only sold by aviation and aerospace companies. It is not available for purchase from non-aviation companies.

3. Is it possible to purchase a used RAT?

Yes, it is possible to purchase a used RAT from certain aviation companies or through online marketplaces such as eBay. However, it is important to thoroughly inspect the equipment and ensure it is in good working condition before purchasing.

4. How much does a RAT typically cost?

The cost of a RAM air turbine can vary depending on the manufacturer, size, and specific capabilities. On average, a RAT can cost anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000. Used RATs may be available at a lower cost.

5. Do I need any special permits or licenses to purchase a RAT?

In most cases, no special permits or licenses are needed to purchase a RAM air turbine. However, it is important to check with your local aviation authority to ensure that you comply with any regulations or restrictions in your area.