Where is glucose-6-phosphatase located?

• Thread starter Matt204823545
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cell
In summary, the conversation discusses the location of an enzyme, specifically glucose-6-phosphatase, in the cell. The image provided shows that the enzyme is located in the endoplasmic reticulum, but it is not clear if this is the only location. The human protein atlas website is a helpful resource for determining the locations of human proteins in the cell, but the data may not be conclusive for all cell lines. Overall, the conversation highlights the need for more comprehensive resources for biology students.
Matt204823545
TL;DR Summary
Where in the cell is this enzyme located?
I have it as "located: embedded in the ER membrane" in my notes. Is this correct? Below is the image I use in my studies. Is this the only place in the cell where this enzyme is located? Is there a website that I can use to find the locations of enzymes in cells? Specifically: the human body only. Wikipedia doesn't really help.

http://127.0.0.1:4051/paste-a4b199645f5e135c8bbc2524e9c2902821c1ef54.jpg

Biology news on Phys.org
I do not have much knowledge on cell biology, but I assume your question is restated as "where in the cell the chemical reaction you are watching takes place?" because transportation of enzyme in the cell seems not probable to me.

Wiki Glucose 6-phosphatase :
However, the corresponding residue in glucose 6-phosphatase-α (Lys76) resides within the ER membrane and its function, if any, is currently undetermined. With the exception of Lys76, these residues are all located on the luminal side of the ER membrane.[4]

So I was wrong as for residue storage.

Last edited:
The human protein atlas is a good resource to get a general idea of where inside the cell many human proteins reside: https://www.proteinatlas.org/

The site has data for one of the subunits of glucose-6-phosphatase (G6PC3), and it shows that it is indeed localized to the endoplasmic reticulum: https://www.proteinatlas.org/ENSG00000141349-G6PC3/cell

However, this data cannot say that this is the only location that the enzyme is located. The type of experiment used to determine the location of the enzyme only really pinpoints where the majority of the enzyme resides and the experiment was only performed in a small number of cell lines. It is possible that a smaller fraction of the enzyme could be elsewhere inside of the cell, and it's possible that the location could differ in other cell lines.

• Informative
  • Love
Likes pinball1970, Matt204823545, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
Ygggdrasil said:
The human protein atlas is a good resource to get a general idea of where inside the cell many human proteins reside: https://www.proteinatlas.org/

The site has data for one of the subunits of glucose-6-phosphatase (G6PC3), and it shows that it is indeed localized to the endoplasmic reticulum: https://www.proteinatlas.org/ENSG00000141349-G6PC3/cell

However, this data cannot say that this is the only location that the enzyme is located. The type of experiment used to determine the location of the enzyme only really pinpoints where the majority of the enzyme resides and the experiment was only performed in a small number of cell lines. It is possible that a smaller fraction of the enzyme could be elsewhere inside of the cell, and it's possible that the location could differ in other cell lines.
Thank you so much. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for and is what every university should provide to its biology students (why the heck don't they!?). I wish I found that website earlier. I can't thank you enough!

Likes jim mcnamara

1. Where is glucose-6-phosphatase located in the body?

Glucose-6-phosphatase is primarily located in the liver and kidneys, but it can also be found in other tissues such as the small intestine, pancreas, and brain.

2. Is glucose-6-phosphatase present in all cells?

No, glucose-6-phosphatase is not present in all cells. It is only found in certain tissues and organs that are involved in glucose metabolism.

3. How does the location of glucose-6-phosphatase affect its function?

The location of glucose-6-phosphatase is important for its function in glucose metabolism. It is primarily found in tissues that play a role in maintaining blood glucose levels, such as the liver and kidneys.

4. Can glucose-6-phosphatase be found in the bloodstream?

No, glucose-6-phosphatase is not typically found in the bloodstream. It is primarily located inside cells and is not secreted into the bloodstream.

5. Is the location of glucose-6-phosphatase the same in all species?

No, the location of glucose-6-phosphatase can vary slightly between different species. For example, in humans, it is primarily found in the liver and kidneys, but in rodents, it is also present in the small intestine.