Where is the CG between the Earth and the Moon

• B
  • Thread starter thetexan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Moon
In summary, when two bodies orbit each other, the entire system rotates about a center of gravity point in the space between them. This causes a wobble effect of the entire system.
thetexan
When two bodies orbit each other the entire system rotates about a center of gravity point in the space between them causing a wobble effect of the entire system.

Approximately at what distance from Earth is that CG point between the Earth and moon please.

tex

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The moon has a mass approximately 1/81 the mass of the earth. A little algebra gives ## (M_e)x=(M_e/81)(R-x) ## where ## R ## is the Earth moon distance.(from center of Earth to center of moon) ==>> ## x=R/82 =240000 ## miles ## /82=3000 ## miles approximately. With the radius of the Earth ## r_e=4000 ## miles this puts this about ## 1000 ## miles below to the surface of the Earth on the side of the Earth that faces the moon. Please double check my calculations to verify. (I didn't google this, but I believe I have it correct.)

Charles Link said:
The moon has a mass approximately 1/81 the mass of the earth. A little algebra gives ## (M_e)x=(M_e/81)(R-x) ## where ## R ## is the Earth moon distance.(from center of Earth to center of moon) ==>> ## x=R/82 =240000 ## miles ## /82=3000 ## miles approximately. With the radius of the Earth ## r_e=4000 ## miles this puts this about ## 1000 ## miles below to the surface of the Earth on the side of the Earth that faces the moon. Please double check my calculations to verify. (I didn't google this, but I believe I have it correct.)
This cannot be true. I used Newton's gravity formula ##\frac{G \cdot M_E \cdot M_0}{x^2} = \frac{G \cdot M_M \cdot M_0}{(R-x)^2}## which isn't linear and got ##x=0.9 \, R## which looks as if there were an easier argument since ##9^2 = 81.## And it violates a quote from "Armageddon", not that a movie would be a reliable source ...

fresh_42 said:
This cannot be true. I used Newton's gravity formula ##\frac{G \cdot M_E \cdot M_0}{x^2} = \frac{G \cdot M_M \cdot M_0}{(R-x)^2}## which isn't linear and got ##x=0.9 \, R## which looks as if there were an easier argument since ##9^2 = 81.## And it violates a quote from "Armageddon", not that a movie would be a reliable source ...
I think you computed the zero gravity point. If I remember correctly (I computed it a few years ago), it lies 9/10 of the way to the moon. editing... yes, your calculation is for the zero gravity location... :-)

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
I think you computed the zero gravity point. If I remember correctly (I computed it a few years ago), it lies 9/10 of the way to the moon. editing... yes, your calculation is for the zero gravity location... :-)
Ah, ok. Misunderstood it.

Likes Charles Link
Im an instructor pilot.. Is it as simple as doing a weight and balance of the airplane using moments and arms as if the earth/moon combination was one big balanced teeter toter?

If that is the case then the 1/81 difference indicates to me that the arm would be a 1:81 ratio of the distance between the two bodies...one unit on one side of the balance point and 81 units on the other. Using 243,000 miles and dividing by 82 that puts the balance point 2963 miles from the center of the Earth or inside the Earth itself. Is it that simple?

tex

Likes Charles Link
thetexan said:
Is it that simple?
Yes.

Likes Charles Link
Bandersnatch said:
Yes.
(For the OP) When the moon revolves around the Earth in 29 days or thereabouts, it is actually this dumbbell system that is rotating. Because the CG lies so near to the center of the earth, basically the moon revolves around the earth.

1. What is the center of gravity between the Earth and the Moon?

The center of gravity, or the point at which the combined mass of the Earth and Moon is balanced, is located approximately 1,737 kilometers from the center of the Earth and 384,400 kilometers from the center of the Moon.

2. Why is the center of gravity between the Earth and the Moon important?

The center of gravity between the Earth and Moon is important because it determines the orbit and motion of the Moon around the Earth. It also affects the Earth's rotation and tides.

3. How is the center of gravity between the Earth and the Moon calculated?

The center of gravity is calculated using the masses and distances between the Earth and Moon. The formula for calculating the center of gravity is (m1 x d1 + m2 x d2) / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the Earth and Moon, and d1 and d2 are the distances from the center of the Earth and Moon, respectively.

4. Does the center of gravity between the Earth and the Moon ever change?

Yes, the center of gravity between the Earth and Moon changes slightly over time due to the varying distances between the two bodies as they orbit around each other. However, these changes are very small and have a minimal effect on the overall orbit and motion of the Moon.

5. How does the center of gravity between the Earth and Moon affect space missions?

The center of gravity between the Earth and Moon plays a crucial role in space missions, especially those involving spacecraft landing on the Moon. Understanding the location and strength of the center of gravity is essential for ensuring a successful landing and maintaining the stability of the spacecraft during the mission.