Where is the mistake in this epsilon delta proof?

In summary, the conversation is about proving that a given limit is incorrect using contradiction. The speaker attempts to use an estimation method but finds that the limit actually gives a correct answer. They ask for help in understanding their mistake and apologize for any errors due to being tired.
FaroukYasser
Missing template due to originally being posted in different forum.
The question asks to proof that the limit given in incorrect by contradiction. I tried working using the estimation method and the weird thing is that I completed the proof and found that the supposedly "incorrect" limit gave a correct answer although it was supposed to give me a contradiction of some sort, can someone help?

##Let\quad { X }_{ n }=\sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } ,\quad by\quad contradiction\\ show\quad that:\\ \lim _{ n\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \right] } =\infty \quad is\quad not\quad true.\\ \\ My\quad answer:\\ \\ for\quad any\quad arbitrary\quad given\quad M>0,\quad there\quad exists\quad an\quad N.\\ such\quad that\quad if\quad n>N,\quad then\quad \left| \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \right| >M\\ \\ \left| \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \right| \quad >\quad 2\sqrt { n+3 } -\sqrt { n+1 } -\sqrt { n+2 } \\ >\quad -2\sqrt { n+3 } -\sqrt { n+1 } -\sqrt { n+2 } =\quad -\left( 2\sqrt { n+3 } +\sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } \right) \\ >\quad -\left( 2\sqrt { n+3 } +\sqrt { n+3 } +\sqrt { n+3 } \right) =-4\sqrt { n+3 } \quad >\quad M\\ taking\quad N\quad =\quad -3\quad +\quad \frac { { M }^{ 2 } }{ 16 } \\ if\quad n>N\quad \Longrightarrow \quad \left| \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \right| >M\\ ##

How can I have reached an N when the limit is incorrect?! Any help would be appreciated.
Also, sorry for my bad English.

Physics news on Phys.org
You do realize that ##-4\sqrt{n+3}## is negative and therefore always smaller than ##M##? There are several such mistakes.

Orodruin said:
You do realize that ##-4\sqrt{n+3}## is negative and therefore always smaller than ##M##? There are several such mistakes.
Ohh wow! Its 3 AM here so I do apologize for this.

Also, sorry for posting in the wrong forum.
Cheers :)

Did you mean ##\lim_n X_n=+\infty## or ##\lim_n|X_n|=+\infty##?

1. What is an epsilon delta proof?

An epsilon delta proof is a method used in mathematical analysis to show that a limit exists and has a specific value. It involves finding a relationship between the distance between input values and the corresponding output values.

2. How do you know if an epsilon delta proof is correct?

To determine the correctness of an epsilon delta proof, we need to check if the defined values of epsilon and delta satisfy the conditions of the proof. Epsilon should be greater than 0 and delta should be greater than 0 and also depend on epsilon. Additionally, the proof should show that for any input value within delta distance from the limit, the output value should be within epsilon distance from the limit.

3. Why is it important to find the mistake in an epsilon delta proof?

An epsilon delta proof is a crucial tool in mathematical analysis and is used to prove the existence and value of limits. Finding mistakes in a proof ensures that the result is accurate and can be relied upon in further calculations and proofs.

4. What are some common mistakes in an epsilon delta proof?

Some common mistakes in an epsilon delta proof include incorrect definition of epsilon and delta, incorrect use of mathematical symbols, and incorrect application of the limit definition. It is also important to check for logical errors and ensure that all steps in the proof are valid.

5. How can I improve my understanding of epsilon delta proofs?

To improve your understanding of epsilon delta proofs, it is important to practice and solve different examples and exercises. You can also seek guidance from a math tutor or join a study group to discuss and clarify any doubts. It is also helpful to review the basic concepts of limits and continuity in calculus.