Where on the x-axis is the potential zero

In summary, the question asks for two locations on the x-axis where the electric potential is zero, given the charges of -1.9 × 10-9 C at the origin and 9.4 × 10-9 C at x = 3 m. The equation used is kq1/r1 = kq2/r2, where r1 and r2 represent the distance from the charges where the potential is zero. The attempt at a solution involved solving for r1 and adding the values, but the resulting answer was incorrect. The correct interpretation is that r1 and r2 represent the distances from the charges, not the total distance between them. This leads to the correct answer of 0.606 m.
jenzao

Homework Statement

Is this question on electric potential solvable? I've tried everything. any ideas?
A charge of -1.9 × 10-9 C is at the origin and a charge of 9.4 × 10-9 C is on the x-axis at x = 3 m. At what two locations on the x-axis (xpositive, xnegative) is the potential zero?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

heres what i did...

kq1/r1 = kq2/r2

first i canceled k because its on both sides, and a constant..
then i solved for r1...

r1 = r2q1/q2

then i added the values...

r1 = 3(-1.9e-9) / (9.4e-9)

answer = .606

this is wrong... please help! thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what your variables r1 and r2 mean here.

r is the distance from the charge where the potential is zero isn't it?

1. What does the x-axis represent in terms of potential?

The x-axis represents the independent variable, which is typically the distance or position in a system. In terms of potential, it represents the distance or position at which the potential is being measured.

2. How is the potential zero determined on the x-axis?

The potential zero is usually determined by convention or by the specific system being studied. In some cases, it may be chosen to be at a certain distance or position, while in others it may be defined as the point where the potential is equal to zero.

3. Is the potential zero always located at the origin on the x-axis?

No, the potential zero can be located at any point on the x-axis depending on the system being studied. In some cases, it may be more convenient to choose the origin as the potential zero, but in other cases, it may make more sense to choose a different point.

4. What is the significance of the potential zero on the x-axis?

The potential zero is important because it allows us to measure the potential at different distances or positions in a system relative to a known point. It also helps to establish a reference point for calculations and comparisons.

5. Can the potential zero change on the x-axis?

Yes, the potential zero can change depending on the system or the chosen reference point. In some cases, it may be more convenient to redefine the potential zero to simplify calculations or to better understand the behavior of the system.