Where to Buy Meta Materials for Scientific Research?

• I
  • Thread starter forex10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, Joe L. is looking for a 3-4 inch diameter meta material, 1/2 to 1 inch thick, made of copper or metal alloy. They are not interested in using it for cloaking, but for other purposes. However, it seems that meta materials are still in the testing phase and not readily available for purchase. Joe L. mentions wanting to use it for a 10K sine wave, but it seems that meta materials are only readily produced for microwaves or lab prototypes for visible light.
forex10
Hello,
Around 18 months ago I did a search on buying mete materials & came up with numerous results. This time I searched & found nothing. So I am posting this to find out where (on the internet) I could purchase meta materials.

I am searching for a meta material 3 to 4 inches in diameter with 1/2 inch to 1 inch thickness. Possibly a copper or metal alloy. I do not want to use this for cloaking, but for other purposes - too long of an explanation for now.

Any help would be appreciated.

JoeL

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can buy meta materials yet. Based on what I have found, their most likely in the testing phase instead of developing phase. And no explanation is too long.

Metamaterials for which wavelength? They are easy to produce for microwaves, they are lab prototypes for visible light of narrow frequency ranges.

mfb said:
Metamaterials for which wavelength? They are easy to produce for microwaves, they are lab prototypes for visible light of narrow frequency ranges.
Generally a 10K sine wave. But the range could be from 10 to a 2M sine wave.

It seems we are not as far along with meta materials a I thought we were, which is a disappointment. Any way check out my new posting about Tesla power transmission.

Joe L.

1. What are meta materials?

Meta materials are artificially engineered materials that have unique properties not found in nature. These materials are designed to have properties that are not typically found in natural materials, such as negative refractive index, superconductivity, or extreme flexibility.

2. What is the purpose of searching for meta materials?

The purpose of searching for meta materials is to develop new materials with unique properties that can be used in various applications, such as telecommunications, energy harvesting, medical devices, and cloaking technology. These materials have the potential to revolutionize industries and improve existing technologies.

3. How are meta materials created?

Meta materials are typically created through a process called metamaterial synthesis, which involves designing and arranging different materials at a microscopic scale to produce the desired properties. This can include using techniques such as 3D printing, nanotechnology, or chemical synthesis.

4. What challenges are involved in the search for meta materials?

One of the main challenges in the search for meta materials is finding the right combination of materials and structures to achieve the desired properties. This requires a deep understanding of the underlying physics and chemistry involved. Another challenge is the cost and scalability of producing these materials.

5. What are some potential applications of meta materials?

Meta materials have a wide range of potential applications, including improving wireless communication by creating better antennas and signal filters, developing more efficient solar panels and energy storage devices, and creating medical implants with better biocompatibility and healing properties. They also have the potential to be used in military and defense technology, such as stealth technology and invisibility cloaks.