Where to find galaxy mass function observational data?

In summary, galaxy mass function observational data is the measurement and observation of the distribution of galaxy masses in the universe. It can be found in databases and archives such as NED and SDSS, as well as in research papers. There are different types of data available, including photometric, spectroscopic, and imaging data. This data is used by scientists to study galaxies and test cosmological models. It is publicly available for research use, but proper citation and following usage guidelines is important.
shadishacker
Dear all,

I am looking for observational data for the number count of galaxy mass function:
\begin{equation} dn/dM\end{equation} in terms of redshift and also mass, to compare with theories.
I know that I can use HIPASS data (most probably), but as I am new to the field, I have to idea:
1- where to find the data
2- How to convert the observational data to dn/dM ?

Space news on Phys.org

Related to Where to find galaxy mass function observational data?

1. What is galaxy mass function observational data?

Galaxy mass function observational data refers to the measurements and observations of the distribution of galaxy masses in the universe. It provides important information about the formation and evolution of galaxies.

2. Where can I find galaxy mass function observational data?

Galaxy mass function observational data can be found in various databases and archives, such as the NASA Extragalactic Database (NED) or the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS). It can also be obtained from research papers published in scientific journals.

3. What types of galaxy mass function observational data are available?

There are various types of galaxy mass function observational data available, including photometric data (measurements of light), spectroscopic data (measurements of the chemical composition of galaxies), and imaging data (images of galaxies).

4. How is galaxy mass function observational data used in research?

Galaxy mass function observational data is used by scientists to study the properties and evolution of galaxies. It can also be used to test different cosmological models and theories of galaxy formation.

5. Can I access and use galaxy mass function observational data for my own research?

Yes, most galaxy mass function observational data is publicly available and can be used by anyone for research purposes. However, it is important to properly cite the source of the data and follow any usage guidelines set by the data provider.