Where's your favorite place to stargaze?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter PhotonSSBM
  • Start date
In summary: Right now I'm thinking somewhere in the American southwest early in the year, but also kind of want to visit Yosemite (some of the shots I see from there are amazing).Rocky mountain national park is nice. It was clear sky every time I went. However, on the horizon or just over the horizon there was an electrical storm by longs peak every night.Yosemite is definitely a great place to go for stargazing, and there are other spots in the American southwest that would be good, too.
PhotonSSBM
Insights Author
I'm planning a trip for next year that takes me to at least one place where I can get a good view of the sky with a telescope I'm buying this Christmas. I could just google "best stargazing spots" but I thought it would be more fun to ask you awesome people where you go when you want to get that perfect shot, while also having other beautiful/fun things to see and do. Right now I'm thinking somewhere in the American southwest early in the year, but also kind of want to visit Yosemite (some of the shots I see from there are amazing). What do you guys think?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Rocky mountain national park is nice. It was clear sky every time I went. However, on the horizon or just over the horizon there was an electrical storm by longs peak every night. So it was a full milkyway view plus the exotic light show on the horizon.

Likes PhotonSSBM
PhotonSSBM said:
I could just google "best stargazing spots" but I thought it would be more fun to ask you awesome people where you go when you want to get that perfect shot

anywhere where there is a lack of city /town light pollution

I recently posted in another thread an online interactive app for finding dark sites anywhere in the world

http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.htmlcheers
Dave

Likes PhotonSSBM and UsableThought
davenn said:
I recently posted in another thread an online interactive app for finding dark sites anywhere in the world
http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

That's a terrific site, thanks for posting it. As well as the interactive map, other pages on the site give useful background info, e.g. the Home page and About page; plus the links page has links to pages with night sky photography tips, etc.; and there is also a link to the International Dark-Sky Association, for those who want to learn more. Years ago when I was a newspaper reporter, I wrote a general information piece about light pollution, so this is a good reminder for me.

PhotonSSBM said:
I could just google "best stargazing spots" but I thought it would be more fun to ask you awesome people where you go when you want to get that perfect shot, while also having other beautiful/fun things to see and do.

Aside from the interactive map, that same site has a "List of Dark Sites" you might find useful in narrowing things down for your traveling; at a glance it seems to list quite a few national parks & wildlife areas in the U.S.

Likes PhotonSSBM and davenn

1. Where is the best location to stargaze?

The best location to stargaze varies depending on personal preference and factors such as light pollution and weather. However, some popular locations for stargazing include remote areas with minimal light pollution, high altitude locations with clear skies, and national parks with designated stargazing spots.

2. What time of year is best for stargazing?

The ideal time for stargazing is during a new moon when the sky is at its darkest. This typically occurs once a month, but it is also important to consider weather conditions and the position of different constellations and planets in the sky. Some stargazers also prefer the colder months when the air is drier and clearer.

3. Do I need any special equipment for stargazing?

While a telescope or binoculars can enhance the stargazing experience, they are not necessary. The most important equipment for stargazing is a star chart or a stargazing app to help identify constellations and planets. It is also recommended to bring warm clothing, a blanket or chair, and bug spray if stargazing outdoors.

4. Can I stargaze in the city?

Stargazing in the city may be challenging due to light pollution, but it is still possible. You may need to find a rooftop or balcony with a clear view of the sky, or visit a nearby park with less light pollution. Additionally, using a telescope or binoculars can help to see more stars and planets in the city.

5. What are the best constellations to look for when stargazing?

Some of the most popular constellations for stargazing include Orion, Ursa Major (also known as the Big Dipper), and Cassiopeia. These constellations are visible in the northern hemisphere and can be seen throughout the year. Other notable constellations include Cygnus, Leo, and Scorpius.