Which branch of mathematics is this?

In summary, the paper appears to be in the field of economics, specifically looking at utility functions. The notation used includes function set mapping, series and sequence notation, and an infinite exponent in the domain of the utility function. The function U is a map from the space of infinite sequences to the real numbers.
Cinitiator

Homework Statement

I'm wondering which branch of mathematics is given in the following paper. What I understand in it is the function set mapping notation (f:X->Y), series and sequence notation, but nothing else. I want to know which branch of mathematics this is to be able to read this paper.

Homework Equations

Ip6x3.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried Goolging without any luck.

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't really any math content here, it's just definitions on this page. If you don't understand what the symbols mean it would probably be good to ask an economist (is this econ??). All I can say other than that is that set theory or some discrete math might help you with the symbols, but they probably wouldn't help you with whatever it is the author is going to do next.

Cinitiator said:

Homework Statement

I'm wondering which branch of mathematics is given in the following paper. What I understand in it is the function set mapping notation (f:X->Y), series and sequence notation, but nothing else. I want to know which branch of mathematics this is to be able to read this paper.

Homework Equations

Ip6x3.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried Goolging without any luck.

It could be economics. Or it could be this kind of a thing. Whatever it is, it surely isn't pure math.

dimension10 said:
It could be economics. Or it could be this kind of a thing. Whatever it is, it surely isn't pure math.

But what does it mean when there's an infinity exponent of a set "X"? Isn't it mathematics (set theory)?

Last edited:
It's not an exponent. This --
$$\{x_t\}_{t = 0}^{\infty}$$
-- is notation for an infinite sequence of numbers, and t is the index, which ranges through all nonnegative integers.

It's a compact way of writing
##\{x_0, x_1, x_2, \cdot \cdot \cdot, x_t, \cdot \cdot \cdot \}##

Mark44 said:
It's not an exponent. This --
$$\{x_t\}_{t = 0}^{\infty}$$
-- is notation for an infinite sequence of numbers, and t is the index, which ranges through all nonnegative integers.

It's a compact way of writing
##\{x_0, x_1, x_2, \cdot \cdot \cdot, x_t, \cdot \cdot \cdot \}##

I know this notation, which is used to define discrete functions. I was talking about the notation which has an infinity exponent in the range of the function. That is X^∞, with X being the domain set. It's on the second line of the paper.

And also, does $$U(x_0, x_1, x_2 ... x_n)$$ mean that the function U is an n+1 dimensional function? For example, the same way f(x, y) is a 3 dimensional function?

Last edited:
Cinitiator said:
I know this notation, which is used to define discrete functions. I was talking about the notation which has an infinity exponent in the range of the function. That is X^∞, with X being the domain set. It's on the second line of the paper.
I didn't notice that X before. What this means is that the domain (not range) of the utility function U is a set of infinite sequences.
Cinitiator said:
And also, does $$U(x_0, x_1, x_2 ... x_n)$$ mean that the function U is an n+1 dimensional function? For example, the same way f(x, y) is a 3 dimensional function?

I would not use this terminology. ##U(x_0, x_1, x_2 ... x_n)## is a function of n + 1 variables. f(x, y) is a function of two variables. The graph of U requires n + 2 dimensions; n + 1 dimensions for the domain, and one dimension for the range. Similarly the graph of f requires 3 dimensions; two for the domain and one for the range.

Keep in mind that U as defined in the paper is a map from the space of infinite sequences to the real numbers. For this reason, the domain is infinite dimensional, and the range is one dimensional.

Related to Which branch of mathematics is this?

1. What is the main purpose of mathematics?

The main purpose of mathematics is to study and understand patterns, structures, and relationships in the world around us. It provides a precise and logical way of thinking and problem-solving.

2. What are the different branches of mathematics?

The main branches of mathematics include algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and statistics. There are also other specialized branches such as number theory, topology, and differential equations.

3. What branch of mathematics deals with shapes and sizes?

The branch of mathematics that deals with shapes and sizes is geometry. It involves the study of points, lines, angles, and figures in both two and three-dimensional spaces.

4. What branch of mathematics is used in computer science?

The branch of mathematics that is used in computer science is discrete mathematics. It includes concepts such as logic, set theory, graph theory, and combinatorics that are essential in computer programming and algorithm design.

5. How does mathematics relate to other fields of study?

Mathematics has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It provides a language and tools for understanding and solving problems in these fields, making it an essential tool for scientific and technological advancements.