Which cylinder reaches the ground first?

In summary, the correct option for which body will fall first depends on the ##\frac{ MOI} {mass}##, the less ##\frac{ MOI} {mass}##, the faster the body reaches the ground. The concept of "radius of gyration" is significant in pure rolling, as it relates to the speed of the body. In this problem, the radius of gyration is used to determine which body will reach the ground first. The equation used for this is ##a = g sin \theta / K##, where K is a constant that relates the moment of inertia and mass to the point of contact with the plane. The values of K for a solid cylinder and a hollow cylinder are 3/
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-11-9_17-15-21.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct option is d because
which body will fall first depends on the moment of inertia, the less MOI, the fast the body reaches the ground.
COM motion will not be applicable here as the friction force will be different for different material.
But since the motion is pure rolling, work done by the friction is 0. So, conservation of energy for pure rolling gives the speed of both the cylinders in terms of MOI. And it turns out that lesser the MOI, faster the speed. And faster the speed, less time would be taken for reaching the ground. Hence, the correct option is d.

Is this correct?[/B]

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-9_17-15-21.png
    upload_2017-11-9_17-15-21.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 873
Physics news on Phys.org
In option d, why would A have less MOI than B? It would have less MOI than a hollow cylinder of the same mass, but not than a hollow cylinder of the same radius.

mjc123 said:
In option d, why would A have less MOI than B? It would have less MOI than a hollow cylinder of the same mass, but not than a hollow cylinder of the same radius.
Sorry, the answer would depend not upon the MOI, but ##\frac{ MOI} {mass}## of the corresponding cylinder.
The edited answer is
The correct option is d because
which body will fall first depends on the ##\frac{ MOI} {mass}##, the less ##\frac{ MOI} {mass}##, the fast the body reaches the ground.
COM motion will not be applicable here as the friction force will be different for different material.
But since the motion is pure rolling, work done by the friction is 0. So, conservation of energy for pure rolling gives the speed of both the cylinders in terms of ##\frac{ MOI} {mass}##. And it turns out that lesser the##\frac{ MOI} {mass}##, faster the speed. And faster the speed, less time would be taken for reaching the ground. Hence, the correct option is d.

##\frac{ MOI} {mass}## is known as radius of gyration, right? So, this means that in pure rolling for a given force; lesser the radius of the gyration, faster is the speed. So, this is the significance of the concept of "radius of gyration", right?

Is this correct?

Strictly speaking, time taken to reach bottom must depend on acceleration of the body and not simply velocity. Don't you think you're argueing on the fact that velocity being maintained constant and hence your logic ?

Ashes Panigrahi said:
Strictly speaking, time taken to reach bottom must depend on acceleration of the body and not simply velocity. Don't you think you're argueing on the fact that velocity being maintained constant and hence your logic ?
I see no indication from the OPs answer that he is not taking into account acceleration.

Chestermiller said:
I see no indication from the OPs answer that he is not taking into account acceleration.
Is my answer correct?

Pushoam said:
Is my answer correct?
I would like to see your detailed analysis of this problem (i.e., the equations) before I can say.

Applyng conservation of energy for pure rolling,
## \frac 1 2 ( mv^2 + I {\omega}^2) = mgH
\\ v^2(1+\frac I {mR^2}) = 2gH##

Pushoam said:
Applyng conservation of energy for pure rolling,
## \frac 1 2 ( mv^2 + I {\omega}^2) = mgH
\\ v^2(1+\frac I {mR^2}) = 2gH##
Right, and to complete it, fill in the value of I for the two cylinders.
Note that, surprisingly perhaps, both mass and radius are irrelevant.

A simpler form would be a = g sin theta / K
where K is the constant relating M R^2 to the moment of inertia
about the point of contact with the plane.
As an example for a solid cylinder, K = 3/2 and for a hollow cylinder K = 2.

haruspex said:
Note that, surprisingly perhaps, both mass and radius are irrelevant.
It depends on the radius of gyration.
Will you please tell me the physical meaning of this concept "radius of gyration"?
Here, knowledge of the radius of gyration gives us the knowledge that which body will reach the ground first. In general, how does one apply this concept?

J Hann said:
A simpler form would be a = g sin theta / K
where K is the constant relating M R^2 to the moment of inertia
about the point of contact with the plane.
As an example for a solid cylinder, K = 3/2 and for a hollow cylinder K = 2.
But I have to derive the 1st eqn as I don't know the validity of the 1st eqn.
If K = ## \frac {mR^2} I
\\ \text{ for solid cylinder, I about z- axis is} \frac {mR^2} 2 .
## And so K = 2
Similarly for hollow cylinder without ends, it is ##mR^2, K = 1##

Pushoam said:
It depends on the radius of gyration.
Not exactly. It depends on the ratio of radius, in the normal sense, to radius of gyration. The "shape" (uniform solid cylinder, uniform hollow cylinder, uniform sphere...) determines that ratio.

The radius of gyration of an object about an axis through its mass centre is the radius of the ring (or hollow cylinder) of the same mass that would have the same moment of inertia.
Pushoam said:
But I have to derive the 1st eqn as I don't know the validity of the 1st eqn.
If K = ## \frac {mR^2} I
\\ \text{ for solid cylinder, I about z- axis is} \frac {mR^2} 2 .
## And so K = 2
Similarly for hollow cylinder without ends, it is ##mR^2, K = 1##
In J Hann's approach using force and acceleration, J is taking moments about the instantaneous centre of rotation, i.e. the point of contact with the plane. Using the parallel axis theorem, the MoI about that is 2mr2 for the hollow cylinder and (3/2)m2 for the solid one. Note that this corresponds to the "1+" in your formula.

To get the equation, taking moments gives Ipoint of contactα=mgr sin(θ). Writing a=rα and Ipoint of contact=Kmr2 yields a=g sin(θ)/K.

Last edited:

1. What factors determine which cylinder will reach the ground first?

The main factor that determines which cylinder will reach the ground first is the mass of the cylinder. The heavier the cylinder, the faster it will accelerate towards the ground due to the force of gravity. Other factors that may play a role include air resistance and the shape of the cylinder.

2. Does the height at which the cylinders are dropped affect the outcome?

Yes, the height at which the cylinders are dropped can affect the outcome. The higher the cylinders are dropped from, the more time they have to accelerate towards the ground, resulting in a faster speed when they reach the ground.

3. Is the shape of the cylinder important in determining which one will reach the ground first?

The shape of the cylinder can play a role in determining which one will reach the ground first. A more aerodynamic shape may experience less air resistance and therefore accelerate faster towards the ground. However, the mass of the cylinder is still the most important factor.

4. Can we predict which cylinder will reach the ground first just by looking at them?

No, we cannot accurately predict which cylinder will reach the ground first just by looking at them. As mentioned before, the mass of the cylinder is the most important factor and cannot be determined just by visual inspection. Additionally, air resistance and other external factors may also affect the outcome.

5. How does air resistance impact the time it takes for the cylinders to reach the ground?

Air resistance can slow down the rate at which the cylinders accelerate towards the ground. This means that the cylinder with less air resistance will reach the ground first, all other factors being equal. However, in most cases, the effect of air resistance is minimal compared to the mass of the cylinder.