Which elective is the better choice for a fluid-focused ME graduate student?

In summary, a ME graduate student is trying to decide between two electives: Nonlinear Control Systems and Advanced Heat Transfer. While Nonlinear Control Systems seems interesting, the student is unsure how it relates to fluids, whereas Heat Transfer has clear overlap but may be less engaging. The student has yet to take a heat transfer course in graduate school, but has taken a nonlinear dynamics class. After receiving input, the student decides to take the Heat Transfer class.
johnnyTransform
Hi all,

I'm a ME graduate student concentrating in fluids and I'm trying to decide between two electives. The two I'm looking at are Nonlinear Control Systems or Advanced Heat Transfer. Nonlinear controls looks interesting, but I'm not sure how it could tie in with fluids...as opposed to heat transfer which obviously has its cross-over, but looks much drier. I have yet to take a heat transfer course in graduate school, whereas I did take a nonlinear dynamics class last semester. Any input is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
johnnyTransform said:
Hi all,

I'm a ME graduate student concentrating in fluids and I'm trying to decide between two electives. The two I'm looking at are Nonlinear Control Systems or Advanced Heat Transfer. Nonlinear controls looks interesting, but I'm not sure how it could tie in with fluids...as opposed to heat transfer which obviously has its cross-over, but looks much drier. I have yet to take a heat transfer course in graduate school, whereas I did take a nonlinear dynamics class last semester. Any input is appreciated!
Take the heat transfer class, unless you want to switch your ME concentration from fluids to controls.

Likes johnnyTransform
Short and to the point--very good! Thanks. I went with the Heat Transfer class =)

Good luck with it.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing between electives?

When making a decision between electives, it is important to consider your personal interests, career goals, and any prerequisites or requirements for your major or program. You should also research the course content and instructor, as well as the workload and time commitment.

2. How can I determine which elective will benefit me the most?

The best way to determine which elective will benefit you the most is to think about your long-term goals and how each elective aligns with them. Consider the skills and knowledge you will gain from each elective and how it will contribute to your academic and professional development.

3. Is it better to choose an elective that is related to my major or something completely different?

It depends on your personal goals and preferences. Choosing an elective related to your major can provide valuable knowledge and skills that will complement your major courses. However, choosing something completely different can broaden your perspective and introduce you to new subjects and ideas.

4. What if I am not interested in any of the elective options?

If you are not interested in any of the elective options, it is important to consider your long-term goals and how each elective may still benefit you. You can also speak with your academic advisor or peers to get their input and suggestions, or explore other elective options within your school or university.

5. How can I balance my workload if I choose multiple electives?

If you decide to take multiple electives, it is important to create a schedule and prioritize your time effectively. Make sure to also communicate with your instructors and plan ahead to avoid any conflicts or overwhelming workload. Additionally, consider spreading out your elective courses over different semesters to maintain a manageable workload.