Which engineering uses the most physics on the job?

In summary, the conversation discusses the misconception that mechanical engineers do not use math in their work and the desire to have hands-on experience solving applied physics problems. It is noted that the type of work a mechanical engineer does is dependent on the job and career trajectory, with more opportunities for complex problem solving as one progresses. It is also mentioned that electrical engineering may have more interesting physics, and that it is important for engineers to proactively apply physics and math to benefit their employers and clients.
zachdr1
I always hear that mechanical engineers (at least ones without a ton of experience) rarely ever do any math. I really enjoy studying mechanical engineering right now, and I really want to make sure that the stuff I'm studying is what I'll be using on the job.

How does a mechanical engineer (or any engineer) avoid doing work on CATIA all day, and instead do actual calculations and applied physics problems, and which engineering leans more towards the "solving applied physics problems" side?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know that it's so much a matter of selecting an appropriate "branch" of engineering as it is the actual job that you end up doing, and then the trajectory of your career. In a lot of entry level jobs the company likely won't want to have new hires working on complex problems. But as you progress the opportunities will be there, particularly if you seek them out. In my experience, people tend to gravitate towards the kinds of work that they enjoy doing in the long term. When they feel "stuck" it's often temporary.

I think Electrical Engineering has some of the most interesting physics in it. That's why I chose it as my engineering field.

Likes Delong
Most of my career, I've viewed it as my job to recognize the applications of physics and math to the interests of my employers and clients. Often, they do not fully recognize the full range of how physics can be applied to help their bottom line or address their interests.

If you wait for employers and clients to realize how you can help them, there will be much less physics in your life.

Likes Logical Dog

Related to Which engineering uses the most physics on the job?

1. What is the difference between mechanical and electrical engineering in terms of physics?

Mechanical engineering focuses on the study of motion, forces, and energy, while electrical engineering deals with the study of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. Both fields use physics principles to design and develop practical solutions for real-world problems.

2. Which engineering field requires the most knowledge of physics?

It is difficult to determine which engineering field requires the most knowledge of physics as it depends on the specific job or project. However, fields such as aerospace, mechanical, and civil engineering often involve complex physics concepts and applications.

3. How does physics play a role in software engineering?

Software engineering may not seem like a field that heavily relies on physics, but it does have applications in areas such as computer graphics, virtual reality, and simulation. Understanding physics principles can also help in optimizing algorithms and improving the efficiency of software.

4. Can a career in engineering involve both physics and biology?

Yes, there are several fields of engineering that involve both physics and biology, such as biomedical engineering, biomechanical engineering, and biophysics. These fields use principles of physics to understand and solve problems in biological systems and develop medical technologies.

5. How do engineers use physics in their day-to-day work?

Engineers use physics principles and laws to analyze and solve problems related to designing, building, and testing various structures, machines, and systems. This could include calculating forces, understanding the properties of materials, and predicting the behavior of different systems under different conditions.