Intensity at a point on the screen

In summary: Thanks for your help :)In summary, monochromatic light of wavelength 592 nm passes through a 0.0290 mm wide slit, resulting in a diffraction pattern with an intensity of 3.00×10−5 W/m2 at the center of the central maximum (θ = 0∘). Using the formula I = I_0[sin(πa sin(θ)/λ)/(πa sin(θ)/λ)]^2, the intensity at a point on the screen corresponding to θ = 1.20∘ is calculated to be 2×10^-8 W/m2. This is an order of magnitude greater than the previous incorrect calculation of 1.13×10^-9
HelpPlease27

Homework Statement

Monochromatic light of wavelength 592 nm from a distant source passes through a slit that is 0.0290 mm wide. In the resulting diffraction pattern, the intensity at the center of the central maximum (θ = 0∘) is 3.00×10−5 W/m2 .
What is the intensity at a point on the screen that corresponds to θ = 1.20∘?
Express your answer with the appropriate units.

Homework Equations

$$I = I_0[\sin(\pi*a*\sin(\theta)/\lambda)/(\pi*a*\sin(\theta)/\lambda)]^2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula and values and got an answer of 1.13*10^-9 W/m^2 but it says it's incorrect and I'm not sure why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In these forums you need to double the dollar (or hash) signs:
##I = I_0[\sin(\pi*a*\sin(\theta)/\lambda)/(\pi*a*\sin(\theta)/\lambda)]^2##

haruspex said:
In these forums you need to double the dollar (or hash) signs:
##I = I_0[\sin(\pi*a*\sin(\theta)/\lambda)/(\pi*a*\sin(\theta)/\lambda)]^2##

Thanks. Changed it

HelpPlease27 said:
I used the formula and values and got an answer of 1.13*10^-9 W/m^2
I get a number an order of magnitude greater. Any possible confusion between degrees and radians?

haruspex said:
I get a number an order of magnitude greater. Any possible confusion between degrees and radians?

Maybe but then do I need to change the 1.2 into radians or i don't know

Last edited:
HelpPlease27 said:
Maybe but then do I need to change the 1.2 into radians or i don't know
I assume you are using a calculator. Most or all calculators allow you to enter the angle in either degrees or radians, but you have to select the right option. Whichever way you do the inner sine (sin(θ) in the quoted equation), the result of (πa sin(θ)/λ) is in radians.

haruspex said:
I assume you are using a calculator. Most or all calculators allow you to enter the angle in either degrees or radians, but you have to select the right option. Whichever way you do the inner sine (sin(θ) in the quoted equation), the result of (πa sin(θ)/λ) is in radians.

Ok, I tried it again and I'm now getting 3.47*10^-10

HelpPlease27 said:
Ok, I tried it again and I'm now getting 3.47*10^-10
Then you need to post your full working.
I get sin(1.2o)=0.021, πa/λ=154, multiplying gives 3.22, sine of that is -0.08, dividing by 3.22 gives -0.026, squaring to 0.00067, then multipying by I0 ends with 2 10-8W/m2.

haruspex said:
Then you need to post your full working.
I get sin(1.2o)=0.021, πa/λ=154, multiplying gives 3.22, sine of that is -0.08, dividing by 3.22 gives -0.026, squaring to 0.00067, then multipying by I0 ends with 2 10-8W/m2.

Thanks, that makes sense now. Who knows what I was doing in my calculations.

1. What is intensity at a point on the screen?

Intensity at a point on the screen refers to the amount of light or energy that is present at a specific point on a screen or surface. It is usually measured in units of watts per square meter.

2. How is intensity at a point on the screen calculated?

Intensity at a point on the screen can be calculated by dividing the amount of light or energy that is passing through a given area by the area itself. This calculation is usually done using specialized instruments such as light meters or spectrophotometers.

3. What factors affect the intensity at a point on the screen?

The intensity at a point on the screen can be affected by several factors, including the distance from the light source, the angle at which the light is hitting the surface, and the properties of the material the light is passing through. Other factors such as the color and intensity of the light source can also impact the overall intensity at a point on the screen.

4. How does intensity at a point on the screen relate to brightness?

Intensity at a point on the screen is closely related to brightness. In general, the higher the intensity at a point, the brighter the light will appear. However, other factors such as the color and quality of the light can also affect the perceived brightness.

5. Why is intensity at a point on the screen important?

Intensity at a point on the screen is important in many scientific and practical applications. It is used to measure the amount of light in a given area, determine the brightness of a light source, and can also provide insights into the properties of materials that interact with light. It is also a crucial factor in fields such as optics, photography, and astronomy.