Which graphing calculator to buy? approved for the SAT, ACT, AP

In summary, the person is currently taking a high-school pre-calculus class and plans to major in Physics in college. They are looking for a calculator that is approved for the SAT, ACT, AP, and is powerful enough for advanced Physics classes. They have a budget of $60 and are considering the TI-83 Plus Silver Edition, but are also open to other options such as the Hewlett Packard 48G or the TI Nspire. They also mention the possibility of buying used or older versions for a lower price.
RPicard
I'm currently taking a high-school pre-calculus class and next year I'm going to be taking AP Calculus and Physics I. I plan to major in Physics in college and I'm looking for a calculator that will get me through all of that.

I need one that's approved for the SAT, ACT, AP, and is powerful enough for advanced Physics classes.

Can anyone recommend a good one? I've only really seen TI calculators but I know there are other good ones out there. I'd also like to stay within a budget of $60 (used on Amazon).

Just for reference, the TI-83 Plus Silver Edition is $60 used on Amazon and new ones are $165.

I know I can get them from other sources but I'm just trying to get a common point of reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

My favourite calculator is the Hewlett Packard 48G. This is old and you will have to eBay it most likely. However, I would recommend that you buy the "Mathcad" software used. An older version will do you fine. The latest version is about $1000.00 FYI.

ti nspire - (texas instruments) is the best one and its 100$-150$

I would recommend looking for a graphing calculator that has a variety of functions and is approved for use on standardized tests such as the SAT, ACT, and AP exams. Some recommended options include the TI-84 Plus CE, TI-Nspire CX, and the HP Prime. These calculators have a wide range of functions and are commonly used in high school and college-level math and science courses. Additionally, they are all approved for use on standardized tests, making them a reliable option for your future exams.

When considering your budget, it may be worth investing in a new calculator rather than a used one. This will ensure that you have a fully functioning and up-to-date calculator for your coursework and exams. However, if you are set on purchasing a used calculator, be sure to thoroughly research the seller and the condition of the calculator before making a purchase.

Ultimately, the best graphing calculator for you will depend on your personal preferences and the specific functions and features you need for your courses. I would recommend researching and comparing different models to determine which one best fits your needs and budget.

1. What is the best graphing calculator to buy for the SAT, ACT, and AP exams?

The best graphing calculator for these exams is the TI-84 Plus CE or the TI-84 Plus CE-T. These models are approved for use on all three exams and have all the necessary functions and features for success.

2. Can I use a calculator that is not approved for these exams?

No, using a calculator that is not approved for these exams can result in your test being invalidated. It is important to check the list of approved calculators before purchasing one for these exams.

3. Is it worth it to buy a more expensive calculator for these exams?

It depends on your individual needs and preferences. While the approved calculators are generally affordable, some students may prefer more advanced features offered by more expensive models. However, it is important to note that the approved calculators have all the necessary functions for success on these exams.

4. Can I use a calculator app on my phone instead of buying a graphing calculator?

No, the exams do not allow the use of calculator apps on phones. You must use a physical graphing calculator that is approved for the specific exam you are taking.

5. Are there any alternative graphing calculators that are approved for these exams?

Yes, there are alternative calculators that are approved for these exams, such as the Casio fx-9750GII and the HP Prime. However, it is important to check with the specific exam guidelines to ensure that the calculator you choose is approved for use.