Which graphing calculator to purchase

In summary, the conversation discusses the best graphing calculator to purchase, with the Texas Instruments Nspire CX CAS and the HP 50g being mentioned. The speaker also mentions their preference for the TI-85 or TI-86, but these are no longer in production. They also express their opinion on CAS models versus Mathematica, and mention owning an HP 15c for everyday calculations. The speaker also brings up the possibility of purchasing the Mathematica for Students 8 and asks if anyone has any coupon codes for it.
hatelove
I'm considering buying a graphing calculator. Which one is good? Is the Texas Instruments Nspire CX CAS the best one on the market right now? I'm also looking at the HP 50g but I'm not bound to RPN so I'm fine with Algebraic calculation.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are in secondary school use whatever is recommended.

My favorite is the TI-85 or TI-86; however, those are not made any more, so you'd have to get them used. In my opinion, TI has never made a better calculator, especially for engineering and science. I'm not a fan of CAS models of calculators: anything they can do Mathematica can do better, especially with a faster processor. I want my calculator to do relatively simple numerics quickly.

I own an HP 15c for everyday calculations, and if I go into finance I might purchase a 12c for that purpose, but I find the 15c very nice for scientific/engineering purposes. I'm not tied down to RPN though, so it doesn't really matter to me.

I am considering the Mathematica for Students 8: Standard Edition. For the cost of a cutting-edge graphing calculator this seems more powerful, but I'm first trying to find out more information about what I get for the price. Does anyone have any coupon codes for this?

I cannot recommend a specific brand or model of graphing calculator as the "best" on the market. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and the specific features and capabilities that you need for your work. Both the Texas Instruments Nspire CX CAS and the HP 50g are reputable brands with advanced features and capabilities. I suggest researching and comparing the specifications and user reviews of each calculator to determine which one best suits your needs. Additionally, consider if the calculator is allowed for use in your academic or professional setting, as some institutions may have restrictions on certain models. Ultimately, the most important factor is finding a calculator that meets your specific requirements and allows you to efficiently complete your calculations and graphing tasks.

1. What are the top features to consider when purchasing a graphing calculator?

The top features to consider when purchasing a graphing calculator include the number of functions and equations it can handle, the size and quality of the display screen, the memory capacity, the availability of programming options, and the overall durability and reliability of the device.

2. Do I need a specific brand or model of graphing calculator for my math or science courses?

It is important to check with your course syllabus or instructor to see if there are any specific requirements for a graphing calculator. Some courses or exams may only allow certain brands or models, so it is best to confirm before making a purchase.

3. Are there any alternative options to purchasing a graphing calculator?

Some students may choose to use a graphing calculator app on their smartphone or tablet as an alternative option. However, it is important to check with your instructor or exam guidelines to ensure that this is allowed. Additionally, some schools may offer rental or loaner graphing calculators to students.

4. How much should I expect to spend on a graphing calculator?

The cost of a graphing calculator can vary depending on the model and brand, but on average, they can range from $50 to $200. It is important to consider your budget and the features you need before making a purchase.

5. Can I use the same graphing calculator for multiple courses or exams?

In most cases, yes, you can use the same graphing calculator for multiple courses or exams. However, it is important to check with your instructor or exam guidelines to ensure that the calculator meets all the necessary requirements for each course or exam.